No Brazilian No JOB?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMover

Reaction score
If you haven't been following the news, in the USA, put down your waxing stick and get ready to hear some really hairy developments.

A licensed Esthetician (Jennifer Finley) in Wexford PA was hired by the European Wax Center there to perform, well, waxing services, which included Brazilian Waxing.

Her first day of training included the Brazilian waxing service. Jennifer was told that she would be working on her fellow new hires to learn the Brazilian, as well as be a model herself so that others could practice and learn.

At some point during this training, Jennifer decided that she was not going to be a model, nor was she going to practice the service on her fellow peers.

HOLD THE PHONE...

Jennifer knowingly interviewed at a waxing salon, that offers Brazilian waxing and yet, she didn't bother to speak up during the interview process to let her employer know that she was not going to perform nor receive this services?

In the attached interview, Jennifer states that, "I was the oldest, I feel like they were young and just really needed a job, and they just went along with it".

Didn't she need a job? Isn't that why she interviewed and accepted the position?

Would a more experienced person have checked out their website or menu of services to see what services they may be asked to perform?

It's like a Vegan, getting a job at McDonald's and refusing to serve the #1 item on their menu, hamburgers.

The only way I know of do train when doing hands-on training is by using other people as models.

Sometimes it's the students that work on each other and sometimes models are brought in to work on. And everyone works on the models and every one works on each other.

A few questions that I would love to hear your answers on. Please join me on and let us hear your feedback.

Spa worker says she was fired for not receiving Brazilian bikini wax - YouTube

1. Is it reasonable to require an employee to perform Brazilian waxing services, if that is what they were hired to do?

2. If a technician, is unwilling to perform the Brazilian waxing service, do you think that is something they should discuss during the interview process before receiving a job offer?

4. Should it be a requirement to perform Brazilian waxing?

5. Do you HAVE to get a Brazilian in order to give them?

6. If you do want to perform Brazilian waxing, does having one done yourself help you to be a better at performing the service?

7. Should you HAVE to practice on others before you start working on paying clients?

I have to agree, if that is what you are being paid to do and it is part of the training she shouldn't have taken the job! Maybe it could have been handled in a more sympathetic manner if the thread on the home page is correct :suprised:

I concur. did you watch the youtube footage included in the post? With eyebrows like that, she's got bigger problems to face. No pun, intended.

In training I have done you are normally expected to perform the service you are training in on others and they in return perform it on you!? Surely it is standard procedure for a waxing place to want you to perform their services and to have it done yourself so that you know what your customer experiences?!

In my opinion yes she should learn it its part of the job learning new skills and meeting salon / job requirements. But she shouldnt be made to get it done

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

1. Is it reasonable to require an employee to perform Brazilian waxing services, if that is what they were hired to do?
Absolutely, you interviewed and were well aware of the job description. If you are not ready to perform what they expect you to, then don't accept the position.

2. If a technician, is unwilling to perform the Brazilian waxing service, do you think that is something they should discuss during the interview process before receiving a job offer?
Yup.

4. Should it be a requirement to perform Brazilian waxing?
When a spa hires they generally want to hire estheticians that have as many qualifications under their belt as possible. That way they can utilize that employee to the best of their abilities.

5. Do you HAVE to get a Brazilian in order to give them?
You don't HAVE to get a Brazilian, however, if you have one done you will know the feeling and will be able to sympathize with your client better.

6. If you do want to perform Brazilian waxing, does having one done yourself help you to be a better at performing the service?
I wholeheartedly agree with this! I have had bad jobs done on me and good jobs, it gave me an opportunity to learn what to NOT do and what I want to strive to achieve.

Magic mover..are you a journalist by any chance? Just wondered what your interest is?
x

Magic mover..are you a journalist by any chance? Just wondered what your interest is?
x

I was wondering the same, considering that The Ed posted the same story on the homepage already this week

Latest posts

Back