No business since mid August

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
My shellac business is the quietest since I began last October. Two of my regular ladies who were friends (our children are in school together) and who used to come every two weeks have totally stopped. It's like they went on holidays and it was the perfect reason to take a good break from getting their nails done. I miss them and their business but I can't even text because I don't want them coming back for all the wrong reasons. It's really upsetting me. I'm beginning to think all my time and effort was in vain. Has anyone experienced these feelings? Thanks in advance everyone xxx

What kind of advertising do you do? Do you have a website, Facebook, etc?

I would write a mass text to all existing clients to try and draw them back in. Something along the lines of October Offer - I would like to thank all of my lovely clients for their loyalty by giving you 20% off of your Shellac nails in October. Call me on xxx to take advantage of this offer x

If you work from home or mobile you can have a free lineage ad with yell.com and Thomson local

Also worth adding yourself to free listing sites, such as cylex etc, try googling free business listings, I'm on at least 10, also do ads on Facebook and join Netmums so you can add ads and photos on there

Your time & effort have definitely not been in vain [emoji5]️ you have skills, you just have to harness your market

What about having a table at a Ladies night run by the school/local community? Xx

These things happen some times - you can never know what's the reason behind for someone who has stopped coming in - maybe they don't have money, maybe they are too busy, etc. In my experience only very few of these cases have smth to do with you or your services.
When done with service, try booking in the client for next appointment. That way you will have more security for your business and that clients will return.

These things happen some times - you can never know what's the reason behind for someone who has stopped coming in - maybe they don't have money, maybe they are too busy, etc. In my experience only very few of these cases have smth to do with you or your services.
When done with service, try booking in the client for next appointment. That way you will have more security for your business and that clients will return.
Thank you:) it's just hard to not take it personal, I miss these ladies but I need to get over it fast before it really affects my work and headspace. This place is always so good to help xx

It's horrible when a regular loyal client disappears and you can't think what you've done wrong so it usually means it's personal. If you can tempt them back then great but work on promoting yourself and bringing new clients in x

Thank you:) it's just hard to not take it personal, I miss these ladies but I need to get over it fast before it really affects my work and headspace. This place is always so good to help xx

I see. Well, this thing has never really bothered me - since the first day I started doing nails. And you know why? Because I just thought to myself "It ain't worth to worry and spend my emotional capacity on such thoughts, clients come and go for reasons I cannot control - new ones will come in place, so I have to spend my energy on ones I work currently, to do the best job I can. If I spend energy thinking about something I cannot change, than my current clients suffer, because I am not able to focus on them 100% and do my job the best I can". Think about it - you are a client to some one else as well (for ex. hair dresser, farmer at farmers market, etc), I bet there where situations in your life, when you didn't use their services for some period of time, because some other things were more important in your life. I personaly have had such situations in my life.
I hope this helps you in future to keep you calm and collected! :)

It's horrible when a regular loyal client disappears and you can't think what you've done wrong so it usually means it's personal. If you can tempt them back then great but work on promoting yourself and bringing new clients in

Ouch that hurt:)! I'm thinking they got the chance to take a break when going on holidays and just wanted a break from appointments but maybe it is personal. I need to get thicker skin, I know that now. Thanks for your advice x

Ouch that hurt:)! I'm thinking they got the chance to take a break when going on holidays and just wanted a break from appointments but maybe it is personal. I need to get thicker skin, I know that now. Thanks for your advice x

No, no that's not what I meant! Sorry. I meant it's their own personal reason, such as money, not enough time, had a personal issue and then just didn't get back to it.

I did not mean there was a problem with you, your work or personality. My meaning got lost in text lol x

No, no that's not what I meant! Sorry. I meant it's their own personal reason, such as money, not enough time, had a personal issue and then just didn't get back to it.

I did not mean there was a problem with you, your work or personality. My meaning got lost in text lol x
Phew:)!!! Thanks a mill x

It took me a long time to realise that of course it hurts because it's just us in our business. When someone stops coming you have a load of why and what have I done questions that you just can't ask and it feels extremely personal to you.

If it's any consolation I no longer really notice [emoji23]

Paula I've been quiet this week - school holidays ticked over just enough with gels & pedis - back to school first couple of weeks & mums glad to have some pamper time. But this week so far really quiet - I have a couple of good friends not rebook but usually it's just a money issue - middle of the month etc. It's hard not to take it personally but it's usually nothing personal & tbh it's nice to have a bit of quiet time to catch up on other things xx

I send a kind of "thinking of returning? " text now and then to lapsed clients offering 25% discount (off their next appt) and saying I look forward to seeing them

Of course they dont always respond but some do, and some actually say it was lovely to get the welcoming back text as they felt bad about not coming for a while and were worried it might be awkward/I might tell them off [emoji15][emoji23]

You never know what they're thinking!

It could be a whole range of things. Shellac every two weeks is expensive, maybe they've started getting acrylics elsewhere, maybe they just want to give their nails a break etc.. If they came every two weeks why would they stop now? It's not anything you've done!

My shellac business is the quietest since I began last October. Two of my regular ladies who were friends (our children are in school together) and who used to come every two weeks have totally stopped. It's like they went on holidays and it was the perfect reason to take a good break from getting their nails done. I miss them and their business but I can't even text because I don't want them coming back for all the wrong reasons. It's really upsetting me. I'm beginning to think all my time and effort was in vain. Has anyone experienced these feelings? Thanks in advance everyone xxx

You could have little business cards made and leave them around little shops. Some charge you like £1 or £2 and they keep your card at the till. x

Thank you so much everyone. Your advice is so appreciated and valued. Deep down I guessed it could be money, busy lives, back to school etc. I feel brighter about it having heard your views. Thank you so much, this community rocks!! Xx

Latest posts

Back