No job-worried. Is it possible to find a part-time job in beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea27

Reaction score
As the title says I am starting to worry as I cannot find a job. I think the biggest problem is that I am only looking for a part-time job. (only couple of days a week) Do any of you work part-time and do salon owners take on part-time therapists?
I have been out of job (beauty) for 6months now and worried I will loose my skills as the time goes on. I so want to work in a salon/spa but there is nothing out there for me.
Has anyone got any advice?

As the title says I am starting to worry as I cannot find a job. I think the biggest problem is that I am only looking for a part-time job. (only couple of days a week) Do any of you work part-time and do salon owners take on part-time therapists?
I have been out of job (beauty) for 6months now and worried I will loose my skills as the time goes on. I so want to work in a salon/spa but there is nothing out there for me.

Why don't you do a bit of mobile work while you're looking hun? At least you won't be 'out of a job' as such then. Will work in your favour when applying for a job and you can keep your hand in it too. Salons do take on part time, I guess it's just finding one that does. Sorry I can't be of much help him. Hope you get something soon :) maybe someone will come along with some great advice for you xxx

I am a salon owner and have 2 part time therapists. My 2nd starts monday. I advertised in the job centre, online at the job centre in my window and also on FB. I had over 20 applicants for one part time position!

I am in the exact same position but looking for full time. I just fully qualified a few weeks ago but can only find salons that want either hnd qualified therapists or two years or more salon experience :(
Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

What about renting a room and/or mobile work while you keep looking? Xx

Where abouts are you?

Where I am, the majority of salons are only taking on people on a self employed basis. Percentage of earnings basis. Maybe this is the issue in your area as well?
Although I am in a fairly small town.

Hope you find something soon. I agree with the others...go mobile until an opportunity arises.x

Thank you for all your replies. I did think about mobile work but I haven't got a car so carrying all my stuff and the couch would be an issue.
But it's good to hear that salon owners do employ part-timers.I did work part-time in a salon a while ago, but since then I cannot find anything.
I will keep looking as I so want to work in a salon to keep up with my skills.

I'm also struggling to find work. Qualified to level 2 and very confident in what I do. Everyone seems to want level 3 qual. I'm gutted!
Hope you find something soon
xx

i work part time as a beauty therapist. I would just send my cv off to places even when they are not recruiting openly and apply to jobs that you find online all the time. I did this and got a job in two weeks time and i suppose that is lucky but also I would not have gotten lucky unless I had kept on sending off my cv every single day to so many of spas and salons. Good luck and hope u find something soon!! x

Some geeks will prob not agree with this, but why not find a great, successful salon in your area, and offer to do "work experience" for one day a week in order to keep your skills up to date. When I had my salon, I sometimes took on qualified work experience therapists in a similar situation to your own and even if I couldn't offer them permanent work (although sometimes I did), I always kept the details of the good ones and offered them work for days when I needed cover.

ps, all my staff were part-time as I found it easier that way to cover shifts during holidays, sick, child commitments etc, and they often changed their working days between themselves to cover each other when necessary - one less problem for me!

hth and good luck.

Some geeks will prob not agree with this, but why not find a great, successful salon in your area, and offer to do "work experience" for one day a week in order to keep your skills up to date. When I had my salon, I sometimes took on qualified work experience therapists in a similar situation to your own and even if I couldn't offer them permanent work (although sometimes I did), I always kept the details of the good ones and offered them work for days when I needed cover.

ps, all my staff were part-time as I found it easier that way to cover shifts during holidays, sick, child commitments etc, and they often changed their working days between themselves to cover each other when necessary - one less problem for me!

hth and good luck.

Great idea :) just make sure you're treated with respect and not used as a slave, like I was !!!! X

It is possible!! I have just finished college after studying for four years. During my whole time I was regularly on the hunt for a part time beauty job. I started working for a large skincare company as a therapist for them, which has been good to maintain and grow my skill with reguard to retailing and treatments. Then i graduated from college and was looking for full time and was applying for every job I saw!! But now thankfully I have managed to get a job as a part time therapist in a small salon really close to my house, i suppose some of its luck but some of its persistance! xxxx

On the flip side, I'm advertising for someone in Manchester and haven't had any takers!
Good luck with your search, I'm sure that the right one will come up

I find it much easier with part time staff aswell, you have more people to juggle :)

x

Have you tried one of the agencies?
I use to do agency work for Rose Marie Hadley on a freelance basis so I could pick and choose when I worked. Granted you could work all over London, but this way you could find a place that you like and they could take you on.
Just an idea, hope this helps. Good luck

Have you tried one of the agencies?
I use to do agency work for Rose Marie Hadley on a freelance basis so I could pick and choose when I worked. Granted you could work all over London, but this way you could find a place that you like and they could take you on.
Just an idea, hope this helps. Good luck
Thank you for the tip, I will check some agencies out.

It's good to see that salon owners do take on part-timers. I will try and do some mobile work while I am looking but I can't do "big" treatments as I haven't got a car therefore I cannot carry my couch.
In the meantime I shall practise on whoever gets in my way as I don't want to lose my skills. On my next day off I will send off as many CVs as possible even if they are not recruiting.
There has to be something out there. Thank for all the tips and encouragement.:lol:

Latest posts

Back