No shows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hi there,
Just a question for business owners. Do you have a deposit policy where your clients pay a deposit to secure their appointment? I'm self employed and getting really frustrated with clients not showing up, I thought this would possibly be something to consider.
Do you recommend it or will it put clients off?

I never used to but just like you i became really frustrated when i turned walk in's away because i had a client booked but then they never showed so since then i charge a 5 pound deposit, some clients don't like it but most understand.

I'm just worried it may put new clients off. Did you feel it did?

Thats exactly what i do! I run my own beauty and nail business and got fed up with people doing the same between no shows or people cancelling right at the last moment. Now when clients are booking in i state my policy which is already public on my facebook, (i don't say the whole thing but the jist of it) i basically say my policy states that a 50% deposit is required to secure booking and 48 hours is given to do so otherwise your appointment will be available for somone else to take, it can be paid either by paypal or leaving cash into the salon. I also mention to them that it is a non refundable and transferable deposit if less than 24 hours notice has been given for a cancellation. Also if they are a no show they obviously don't get there deposit back and they go onto my 3 strike list and if they do this 3 times they wont get another appointment. Don't worry about putting people off with asking for a deposit first, if they want an appointment they certainly wont mind paying it as long as your good at what you do! Good luck x

Yeah that seems fair and reasonable. I've just started out this year, so still trying to get people through the door, actually turned people away for these appointments so it is unfair and I'm getting sick of it. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah that seems fair and reasonable. I've just started out this year, so still trying to get people through the door, actually turned people away for these appointments so it is unfair and I'm getting sick of it. Thanks for the advice.

I am also the same i have only opened my salon the past 4 months but this seems to work for me as people are happy to pay the deposit because they want an appointment! I too was in that position of turning people away and then for no shows to turn up is just so annoying, before i opened my salon i was doing nails from home and on 23rd december i had a full day booked up with nails and had so many no shows and i had turned so many people away so to make up to the people i turned away i worked from 12pm to 11.30pm back to back to christmas eve and i still have them clients now and there more than happy to pay deposits!

I'm just worried it may put new clients off. Did you feel it did?
yes it did put some clients off but they are the ones who are more likely not show up, but the clients who really want to book an appointment with you they will pay. also at first i was scared to tell them to pay the deposit but the more i said the more comfortable i am telling it to clients.

I think a deposit is a good idea because you should not be wasting any of your time or energy on clients who won't even show up or call to cancel. It may push off some clients, but it is still for the better. You just have to guarantee that the deposit is only to guarantee that they will show up. Those clients who are not willing to put in a deposit are not worth your time!

Latest posts

Back