NVQ assessments in workplace

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julieanne27uk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some information regarding NVQ Level 1 in hairdressing. I am currently fully trained in nails and work in my sisters hair salon on saturdays. I am looking into doing the Level 1 nvq in hairdressing so that I would be able to help her out when I'm not busy with nails as she has a staff member off on maternity leave later in the year. As I currently work 6 days a week I don't have enough spare time to go and do a part time college course at the moment. Does anyone know of a satallite centre for hairdressing nvq in the manchester area where I would be able to do the necessary assessments if I did the training and learning in the salon? I've googled the question every way I can think of but can't seem to find the right information.

Thank you!

Julie :biggrin:

Am not sure about your local area, but you can often do evening courses. I would doubt if nvq1 would be much use, it is basically shampooing and key skills. You dont need nvq1 to help out in a salon.

Hi,
Thanks for replying. The reason for wanting an NVQ level 1 is so that the clients are aware I have had some officially recognised training in relation to hairdressing. I occassionally do the "saturday girl" jobs such as shampooing etc but if I do the level 1, I could also assist in colours, washing them off etc. There are a large number of regular customers in the salon who know I am a qualified nail technician and have seen me doing nails, but not hair. We thought that even a basic certificate would reassure them that I know what I'm doing! Ideally I would love to do the NVQ 2 in hairdressing but for now level 1 seemed a good starting point. I'm a little reluctant to do an evening course as I am allergic to hair colouring and whilst I can control my exposure to it in the salon, I'm not sure how happy a college would be about letting me in!

If you are allergic to hair colour I dont think it is a good idea to be washing it off. You get splashed without realising.

To be honest, nvq 1 is for youngsters straight from school, it is not a proper qualification as such, and there is no requirement to have it to shampoo hair.

From a H&S point of view, it is not a great idea for someone with a colour allergy to be a hairdresser. Allergic reactions are serious stuff, and I would have thought insurers would struggle to find cover for you. With the best will in the world, you would get tint on you.

The odd splash of tint is not a problem for me, it has to be in contact with my skin for a prolonged time as with a patch test to cause me problems. I'm always very careful and wear gloves if I touch colour, when washing out tint bowls etc and I have my hair highlighted with foils so it doesn't touch my scalp. As the salon is my sisters and everyone is aware of my allergy I have never had a problem.

I have been a model at the local town centre college for one of my sister's junior staff members where I had a patch test done which caused a reaction and blistered, the tutor asked me if I would mind doing a tour of her other lessons so that all the students could see what an allergic reaction looks like! It was nice to be helpful :biggrin:!

Would a college not train me in hairdressing do you think because of an allergy? Even if the allergy is not a problem if correct health and safety procedures are followed?

The odd splash of tint is not a problem for me, it has to be in contact with my skin for a prolonged time as with a patch test to cause me problems.

This can all change so quickly and so easily to a severe full on Anaphylactic reaction even with the smallest of splash ,
you should not be washing off tints at all .... full stop its very very dangerous practice .

Your Allergy is totally avoidable and so I assume it wouldn't be classed as a H & S issue or disability at work ,
as you fully understand how to avoid it and how to stay away from it ,

for instance if someone has a severe nut allergy
and a customer of hers ate a chocolate bar with nuts in it, and she breathed in the air and went into Anaphylactic shock ,
she wouldn't have known about the nuts in the chocolate bar or how to avoid it ,
and this may be classed as an unavoidable H & S issue or even disability at work

but.... your allergy is totally avoidable ....
and therefore H&S may be see it as placing yourself at unnecessary risk and danger , therfore you may not get covered

Awwwe I am sorry about raining on your parade as I can see that you are really wanting to do this job ,

The only thing I could suggest to you is to stick to the cutting styling side only or even do hair extensions and perhaps a barbering course ,
there are plenty of things you can do ,

but again if you are working in a salon with all that stuff around you then you may still be quite high risk and may not get cover ,

Allergies are very different from intolerance's ,
and you are playing Russian Roulette with Anaphylactic shock :smack:

Allergies can be very severe dangerous and life threatening , can come on very suddenly at anytime and without any warning,

so please face the reality and don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because your ok at the moment !!....
there are people who have had thier hair coloured all thier life who can suddenly develop a severe Allergy ....
but you have a head start and have had a warning by your body .... not to go near anything at all that could trigger your Allergy off !....

I hope that didn't sound too harsh but felt you need to know the very real dangers :hug: x minky
here is a link

especially if Anaphylactic shock occurs very suddenly and out of the blue .... here's a link

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...-43lCQ&usg=AFQjCNFbf1uw7SRoIbui89rgwi3mD6O3XA

Latest posts

Back