OAP blowdries & wet set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
I've finally got my hood dryer installed this week so I have a few questions :)

How many of you still offer the oap service?

Is there good demand?

Anywhere in particular you market for clients?

Do you set aside a certain day for them?

How much do you charge for an oap blowdry & for a wet set?

Would you offer wet set for foundation for a hair up do for a non oap?

Would you charge the same rate to them?

That was a Few more questions than I thought I was going to do :) lol

I have a portable hood dryer but I rarely use it! We do 10% off any services mon- we'd for senior citizens. most tend to have a wet cut (it's normally short hair so I still give it a quick fingerdry doesn't take me 5 mins).
Was having a chat with my old boss a few weeks ago and he said I should offer a bigger discount for oap just on 2 days to pack it out which is what he did & it worked really well for him but that was when ladies regularly got a weekly s/s. I think a lot of oap's now are better at doing hair themselves & don't want a weekly blowdry like they did a few years ago!
where I am, the majority of oap that have that sort of style are already happy with where they go as there's a few shampoo set type salons v.near me and I don't really want to compete with them but I still get a few who maybe felt like a change!
I prob wouldn't offer a wet set anymore for hair up as just use heated equipment as it's quicker but maybe on very straight hair if I thought it would help.
On the odd occasion I have set the hair, I just charge same as blowdry.

The salon I bought was a VERY traditional affair.....with a following of very 'mature' ladies, who loved their £6.50 sets....

Problem 1 ......Most of these ladies had mobility issues, and I'd be responsible for them, on my own, for up to 3 HOURS, whilst their family member went off a 'a bit of me time'!.....o_O

Problem 2......They want their 'hair do' for a fiver.......:eek:

Problem 3...... MOST of my 'original clients' are TECHNICALLY OAP'S....I'd end up having to give 3/4 of my clientele discounted hair services! :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I love the oldies, my eldest lady is 97 years old, and I collect and take her home after her set.
But it did start to grate, when I realised the salon was being used as the local Respite Centre!

The salon I bought was a VERY traditional affair.....with a following of very 'mature' ladies, who loved their £6.50 sets....

Problem 1 ......Most of these ladies had mobility issues, and I'd be responsible for them, on my own, for up to 3 HOURS, whilst their family member went off a 'a bit of me time'!.....o_O

Problem 2......They want their 'hair do' for a fiver.......:eek:

Problem 3...... MOST of my 'original clients' are TECHNICALLY OAP'S....I'd end up having to give 3/4 of my clientele discounted hair services! :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I love the oldies, my eldest lady is 97 years old, and I collect and take her home after her set.
But it did start to grate, when I realised the salon was being used as the local Respite Centre!
That's so lovely that you collect and take her home! I think next time I put my prices up I will make the senior citizen rate a 20% discount so that it doesn't affect them but I can't really afford a bigger discount at the mo and the ladies I Do get have never complained about the price. I have got a new one tomorrow for a perm. When she booked I asked if she wanted it cut too and she said yes but then asked if it was extra. I said yes and she said oh, I need to think about it so cancelled the booking. It annoyed me a bit cos you wouldn't have a meal in a restaurant and then expect a free dessert but 3 days later she rang back, apologised for her manner and booked! I have a feeling she will want a set too so I Will have to dust off the hood dryer!

We do a cheaper rate tues- Thursday. And it keeps us really busy. Only a pound cheaper on blows, cut and blow dry, £2 cheaper on perms and 50p cheaper on sets. No discounts on colour. X

I've finally got my hood dryer installed this week so I have a few questions :)

How many of you still offer the oap service?

Is there good demand?

Anywhere in particular you market for clients?

Do you set aside a certain day for them?

How much do you charge for an oap blowdry & for a wet set?

Would you offer wet set for foundation for a hair up do for a non oap?

Would you charge the same rate to them?

That was a Few more questions than I thought I was going to do :) lol
I do OAPs in my salon and they get special prices Mon-Wed. I charge £12 for a set or blowdry and have loyalty cards with stamps and they get their 10th set half price as alot of them come weekly. Some of my other older clients come at the weekend and they are happier to pay more.

A point I would like to add regarding OAP's, and cheaper rates.
The over 60 age group, statistically, are the wealthiest generation that has been, and ever will be.......:cool:
I know my over sixty clients to be debt free...(unlike me)!
Have second homes......pensions.....savings........holidays........unlike me.
I'm not bitter...BUT...:(
why would I discount this age group, when I have none of the above, and the chances of me or my partner being able to retire in our early sixties is becoming less and less likely!
If we're really wanting to offer a 'treat' to a particular age group, I think it would be better placed giving a 'family discount', or as I do, a special rate for student's.:)

A point I would like to add regarding OAP's, and cheaper rates.
The over 60 age group, statistically, are the wealthiest generation that has been, and ever will be.......:cool:
I know my over sixty clients to be debt free...(unlike me)!
Have second homes......pensions.....savings........holidays........unlike me.
I'm not bitter...BUT...:(
why would I discount this age group, when I have none of the above, and the chances of me or my partner being able to retire in our early sixties is becoming less and less likely!
If we're really wanting to offer a 'treat' to a particular age group, I think it would be better placed giving a 'family discount', or as I do, a special rate for student's.:)
I know right! thats kind of why I asked amongst my other questions lol their not bad off for money but I know they like to feel like their getting a better deal than regular people, I only offer £2 off a blowdry at the mo but I actually give that discount to all my regular blowdry clients anyway :rolleyes: they don't need to know that tho :)

I do OAP on a Wednesday and Thursday (B and Q are near me and they do OAP Wednesday) I don't publicise it because I worry I'll offend someone who isn't actually an OAP (Done that before).

However I don't set, it amazes me how many people ask for that and perms.
I think I would charge same for blowdry as I would for a set.

I think we generally discount OAPS because they usually have a set income. Usually relying mainly on benefits.

I have a few OAPs in my salon that I have done for years and years. I don't restrict them to a certain day and my prices for perms or colours include cut and finish. So they pay the same if they have it cut or not. I make it 15% cheaper than my regular prices. My ladies are lovely and they're not all rich with second homes. If your good to them they are very loyal to you. I respect my OAPs!

I worked in a hair salon and their oap days were Tuesday and Wednesday. These ladies were so loyal. Each of them had their regular slot every single week for their set. Not a huge amount but guaranteed income.

I forget the prices but it was around £12 for a set or blow dry, £18 for a cut and set, £44 for a perm. The rest of the week was full price. Their prices are pretty cheap anyway but oap was about 15% less x

@FlawlessBeauty is right. Sets and blowdries are your bread and butter. I wish I had more oldies

I have 1 weekly blow dry client. She seemed crazy when she first came in. But, she's a lovely lady!! She'd be the type of client I'd invite to my wedding... If only I could find a bloke

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back