Offering gel polish only?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshCro

Reaction score
Hey, apologies if this is a silly question but I've been thinking about it on and off for a while now so I thought I'd ask the pros. So basically about two years ago I started doing my own gel nails, just polish not extensions, to save some money. One thing led to another I started really enjoying myself, and doing my friends and families nails, for free of course as it was just a hobby. I now have about 60 different colours so certainly not the 100's that salons will have but a big variety. I would say I have gotten really good at them, they last a very long time, no chips etc and they are very neat, I'm quite proud as it's self taught from videos and doing them all the time. Is this something I could offer to people for a reduced price to salons either mobile or at my home, or do you really have to be able to offer extensions and other services? Would it just seem silly only being able to offer this or is it quite common? Thank you for reading this.

When gel polish burst in to the scene we saw a massive increase in new techs setting up doing only Gel Polish, gradually most of those still in business have added some form of extension service as they've found they are turning clients away because they couldn't do what the client wanted.

If you're serious then get educated, thats an official qualification in Gel Polish, you need a basic manicure first, it should be a prerequisite for any decent course. Then get insured, then away you go, adding skills and qualifications as you need/go.

Last edited:
When gel polish burst in to the scene we saw a massive increase in new techs setting up doing only Gel Polish, gradually most of those still on bidiness have added some form of extension service as they've found they are turning clients away because they couldn't do what the client wanted.

If you're serious then get educated, thats an official qualification in Gel Polish, you need a basic manicure first, it should be a prerequisite for any decent course. Then get insured, then away you go, adding skills and qualifications as you need/go.
Thank you so much for your response. Im currently furloughed so I have all the time in the world for courses!

Thank you so much for your response. Im currently furloughed so I have all the time in the world for courses!
I'd make sure you sign up for a practicle course, rather than online, as you do need to learn the hygiene and safety protocols, as well as basic manicure, spotting and dealing with various nail or health issues, etc. There will be more to learn on the actual application process, which you've obviously been practicing too. Having someone with experience to show and teach you, and to be able to ask questions, is so much help. I am qualified in acrylics, but in my area, I very rarely get asked for them, however it's still a handy skill to have under your belt. In the past I used to do more acrylics in other areas, but around here, not so much demand.

I'd make sure you sign up for a practicle course, rather than online, as you do need to learn the hygiene and safety protocols, as well as basic manicure, spotting and dealing with various nail or health issues, etc. There will be more to learn on the actual application process, which you've obviously been practicing too. Having someone with experience to show and teach you, and to be able to ask questions, is so much help. I am qualified in acrylics, but in my area, I very rarely get asked for them, however it's still a handy skill to have under your belt. In the past I used to do more acrylics in other areas, but around here, not so much demand.
Thank you so much for your reply I look into the courses and see if I can attend one near me...after lockdown!

Latest posts

Back