Offering little massages in care homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitalityTherapies

Reaction score
So, I'm a Level 3 Beauty Therapist, Sports and holistic qualified Level 3/4 massage therapist, Personal Trainer, studying to be a yoga instructor and starting a degree in October. I'm also a carer in the community and care homes, and I think its the best job there is, the elderly and absolutely fantastic. I therefore have all my manual handling, DBS etc.

Anyway, with 3 children, one being 9 months old and partner in the army I'm struggling to maintain the hours care work brings and a part of me is struggling with not putting my all in to my business as I've worked so hard to get where I am.

I've been thinking that offering little hand and foot massages or shoulder massages in care homes might be the best compromise. BUT I am beating myself up over it as could I possibly take money from these lovely people for it.

I wouldn't charge much at all, Say £5 for 20 minutes. I'm not doing it for the money really, just to keep me busy during the day and to still be involved with the homes. I really am rubbish at the business side of it, I'd do it for free if you all said I should. Please help me find out if I need to grow a backbone or if I'm being selfish taking money from them??

I just started offering beauty treatments in my local care home, I had go through the process of sending my certs and insurance away and filling out forms to allow me to work there - even though you currently work there, this would be in a different capacity so you might have to do the same.

It's very rewarding, but not very lucrative as you can't charge them the same as you would a normal client. I have a pricing system based on how much time a treatment takes - 15mins is £5, 30 mins is £10 and anything over that is £15. Needless to say, most residents stick around the £5/£10 treatments but seeing the smile on their wee faces gives so much job satisfaction :)

Latest posts

Back