Olaplex alternative?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXCITED can't wait to try it ❤️

Canadian here. Olaplex is the real deal, and is the original creation/brand. Why use a knock off that claims to do the same thing while Olaplex without doubt works and is spreading globally like a wild fire. The hype is real and all of what Dean is saying is correct. Give it a shot, rather than go for a copycat brand.

@jordanstlyist any updates on olaplex in the uk yet?

Rep has come in today and told us about the olaplex alternative that's half the price that works out at £1.55 per client, Magi-bond by quif, wondered if anyone had heard or try it?
I've just used it for the first time today, it's really nice. I'm sure it's more surface conditioning whereas olaplex will repair the hair right through, but it's a great alternative while we wait for the real thing

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Wait for the real thing. Don't risk your clients hair with a cheap knock-off. Olaplex patented formula has been field tested with millions of real-world applications by salon professionals around the globe. I'm sure the last buggy whip salesperson said that his product was cheaper than a car. Consider the source.

My problem with the knock off's is this. They are just conditioners that coat the hair. I wouldn't put it in my color, or anywhere near my bleach. I'd suggest saving your money until the real thing is available. Use good tint, good bleach, and don't add conditioner to tint or bleach. Who knows what the results might be?

Rep has come in today and told us about the olaplex alternative that's half the price that works out at £1.55 per client, Magi-bond by quif, wondered if anyone had heard or try it?
as a 3rd generation colorist, i have had the experience to great works of art and back in the 90's i used an item called Joico K-Pak Professional Formula E-L/80 Chemical Activator , IT Is the same exact thing as the olaplex, just lost its likeability since joico has been keeping it under lock and key but you can still find it and all you need to know is this item provides permanent wave, hair color and hair lightener insurance. Enriched with essential fatty acids vitamin E and lecithin this chemical service additive is used with color, perms, lighteners and relaxers to improve desired end results and overall health of hair. For all chemical services hair is left with improved condition shine and health. if this is difficult to find, then all you need to use is botanic oils from nexxus, it is the same thing, just because someone come out with a prettier bottle and a website does not mean it is better, its a clone to this and these other alternatives

No, no, no. None of this has anything to do with olaplex. You can add all the botanical you want, it's not the same thing at all! And what you have stayed above is flat inaccurate.

not sure where your information is derived from , i have worked with olaplex for the past 3 months, and is no different than el80 from joico since both items reconnect broken disulfide sulfurbonds in the hair. your source is inaccurate my friend

Am I the only one who's sick of olaplex already? And I haven't even used it yet. This whole hard to get/only certain exclusive salons-thing is so off-putting to me.

not sure where your information is derived from , i have worked with olaplex for the past 3 months, and is no different than el80 from joico since both items reconnect broken disulfide sulfurbonds in the hair. your source is inaccurate my friend

How exactly do the ingredients in the joico product recconect disulphide bonds?

Joseph I noticed you have an Amazon shop. Do you sell this?

You are entirely misinformed. Joico K-Pak does not reconnect broken disulfide bonds in anyway whatsoever. No idea where you even got that information from. K-Pak Reconstructor is actually a protein based treatment. Liquid reconstructor is also low-weight proteins. K-Pak Revitaluxe is jojoba oil, aloe extract, and bio-mimetic peptides which creates a virtual “molecular bandage” on the surface of the hair to protect against damage and dehydration meaning it is just a bandaid. As for EL-80, it contains lecithin which is a soy bean derivative and used as is used as an emulsifier, thickener, stabilizer, mild preservative, moisturizer, and emollient. Vitamin E and fatty acids do not cross link bonds within the hair. There is nothing within any of those products that cross links single sulfur sulfur hydrogen bonds to form disulfide bonds. I encourage you to educate yourself before making these claims.

As for Olaplex itself, it is a single active ingredient with two reactive ends that cross links single sulfur hydrogen bonds to form disulfide bonds. I'll give you a short background on hair and what actually happens. All hair is made up of thousands of paired disulfide bonds. When you reduce hair be it thermal or chemical services, you break these disulfide bonds. You have two possible reactions that can take place. The first reaction is when a single sulfur hydrogen bond pairs with a single oxygen molecule to form a perfect pair. That is the reaction we want. However, I'll base this off a chemical equilibrium. This first reaction will take place 50% of the time. However, the other 50% of the time, you get the negative reaction. This happens when a single sulfur hydrogen bond pairs with three oxygen molecules. This creates SO3 or what is known as a sulfate group. Sulfate group then creates cystic acid. Over time, cystic acid eats the protein out of the hair. Olaplex works by finding this single sulfur hydrogen bond faster than the three oxygen molecules can preventing the protein from being eaten out of the hair. As this reaction does not happen immediately, this is also why Olaplex is effective as a treatment. Every single one of us has single sulfur hydrogen bonds in our hair so by using Olaplex as a treatment, we are able to find these bonds and truly restore hair. Moisture and protein are entirely separate issues that have nothing to do with cross linking of broken disulfide bonds.

As for your Nexxus oil recommendation, zero comparison as well. Olaplex is not an oil. It's an entirely unique chemistry with 8 worldwide patents and is the only product of it's kind. Try researching the actual chemists behind it, Dr. Craig Hawker and Dr. Eric Pressly.

Regards,
Jordan Alexander
Vice President of Education
Olaplex LLC

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's sick of olaplex already? And I haven't even used it yet. This whole hard to get/only certain exclusive salons-thing is so off-putting to me.

We have had to deal with many different issues in regards to UK launch. U.S. ports went on strike which pushed back launch a few months as we were unable to ship containers out. As of now, UK is launched. They are fulfilling pre-orders first and then it will be available to general public as well. They are fully stocked and ready to go. I encourage you to research Olaplex as it is unlike anything else out there.

Quick follow up. Clients I have used magibond on say the effects only last about a week. It's definitely just a surface conditioner. I am now using Olaplex and loving it

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share my experiences of trialling the various alternatives for "anti hair breakage" products on offer.

I have tried them all in salon, for me I believe it's important to try all the options first and see what works best for myself rather than buying in to any hype and committing to a product without even trying it first.

So far we have tried Olaplaex, Colorphlex, Niophlex, Magibond, Eslabondexx and Edplex... as you can see there are lots of
options out there at various price points.

From the feedback we have had from the clients based on initial condition post service and the length that the result lasted we found that
Magi bond actually came out on top, followed closely by Olaplaex and the others were not too far off either.

The point I'm trying to make here is this... don't get sucked up by any hype about any product that claims to do x, y and z.
Try them all yourself and you decide which is best or better still, involve your clients in the selection process, ours really enjoyed the process and felt special that they'd been selected to help us.
I'm not here to tell you which to use though, I'd encourage you to try them too and see for yourself which works best.

If Olaplaex, Magibond or any others work best in your situation then fine, go with that option but I don't personally think it's the best use of anyone's time sitting on here slating or sticking up for any one product or brand.
I want to exceed my clients expectations every time they visit my salon so I'll use whatever works best to help me do this based on their feedback, not what any rep tells me or what any brand tells me I should be doing.

Some people on here are way too pushy about certain products which for me questions their motives and why they're so keen to persuade you that alternatives are not worth considering. Some have an obvious bias as they're speaking on behalf of the brand they work for or founded but that makes sense, they're bound to do that.

Anyway, we're all our own people so I'm sure you'll also make your choices based on experience rather than hype, cost etc etc.

Best
Marco

First post here...

All the brands claim that their product has a new magical wonder ingredient that makes it better than anything else out there. The best idea is to make an informed decision as best you can, based upon knowledge, budget and necessity. Then the proofs in the pudding - different salons have different wants, needs and clientele.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1438691879.149322.jpg

FYI this is the crib sheet for Magibond, the version that Alan Howard is behind.

There are many new wonder treatments flooding the market right now but as far as I can see only Olaplex states that it repairs broken disulphides bonds?

Latest posts

Back