Olaplex alternative?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh I seeeeeee! So the hairstylist in Leicester who has olaplex and said you can use it as a 'treatment' was incorrect!!

I'm assuming the hair would just be internally stronger rather than smoother to touch?

There's just so much speculation about it because no one here actually has it yet lol!!! Sorry to all the American geeks who are probably fed up of us haha

Hi Adele, Olaplex is considered a "treatment" for the inside of the hair, since it repairs the broken disulfide bonds of the hair, disulfide bonds get broken during any chemical service that uses peroxide - H2O2, or high heat type of damage, here's what happens when coloring or lightening.

Olaplex cross links broken disulfide bonds. Nothing more, nothing less. All hair is made up of thousands of disulfide bonds. When any type of reduction is done such as chemical services including perms, color, lightener or relaxers, these bonds are broken and hair is reduced. Reduction can also include thermal styling such as flat irons, blow dryers and curling irons as well as mechanical styling such as brushing. Even shampoos with a high alkalinity can reduce hair.
When reduction takes place, you have two possible reactions. A disulfide bond splits and forms two single sulfur hydrogen bonds. The first reaction that takes place is when a single sulfur hydrogen pairs with an oxygen molecule. This is a perfect pair with no reduction taking place.
The second reaction is what Olaplex works to prevent. A single sulfur hydrogen bond will pair with three oxygen molecules. This creates SO3 or what is known as a sulfate group. Sulfate group will create cystic acid. Cystic acid will eat the protein out of the hair. Olaplex works by coupling with the single sulfur hydrogen bond faster than the three oxygen molecules can preventing this damage a vast majority of the time. This is how damage is prevented during the process. Olaplex does one thing and one thing only. It creates both an ionic and covalent bridge between two single sulfur hydrogen bonds to form disulfide bonds. As such, it is not chemically possible to reduce the hair via Olaplex alone.

Now what I recommend is that after the #2 Olaplex is rinsed and shampooed out you use an outside treatment, something that works to repair and strengthen the outer Cortex and cuticle layers and I like to use several protein + moisture types of treatments, one is the Redken Extreme Mask which has proteins (the kind that can't make the hair brittle or build up) and it has moisture and Ceramides which are the intercellular cement to helps hold all the bundles of hair tightly together. Compagnia del Colore has their Magic Repair line which has all the goodness I mentioned before.

"disulfide bonds get broken during any chemical service that uses peroxide - H2O2"
Hallelujah, and I have thought, that peroxide was an oxidant, and oxidation should rebuild disulfide bounds.
I wonder, how we had done perms before this "holy grail" Olaplex has been invented? Was there the "Holy Ghost" in the neutralizer instead of peroxide?

Last edited:
Mladen Kenda, what are you babbling about now, your posts make no sense??

Do you want to explain again to you what Olaplex does? But do me a favor, READ IT this time!!!!
Here it is:
Here's a quick explanation on the how and why of Olaplex. When a disulfide bond is broken, it turns into two single sulfur hydrogen bonds. I will base this off of a chemical equilibrium. The first reaction that can happen is this single sulfur hydrogen will pair with an oxygen molecule and that will be a perfect pair. That's a good reaction. The second reaction that takes place is what Olaplex works to prevent. This single sulfur hydrogen will pair with 3 oxygen molecules and create SO3 or what is known as a sulfate group. This sulfate group will then go on to create cystic acid. Cystic acid will then eat the protein out of the hair.

As this reaction does not happen immediately, this is also why Olaplex is effective as a treatment as it finds single sulfur hydrogen bonds and cross links them back together to form disulfide bonds. During the process, Olaplex works by coupling with the single sulfur hydrogen bonds faster than the 3 oxygen molecules can preventing the negative reaction.
Olaplex cross links broken disulfide bonds. All hair is made up of thousands of disulfide bonds. When any type of reduction is done such as chemical services including perms, color, lightener or relaxers, these bonds are broken and hair is reduced. Reduction can also include thermal styling such as flat irons, blow dryers and curling irons as well as mechanical styling such as brushing. Even shampoos with a high alkalinity can reduce hair.
When reduction takes place, you have two possible reactions. A disulfide bond splits and forms two single sulfur hydrogen bonds. The first reaction that takes place is when a single sulfur hydrogen pairs with an oxygen molecule. This is a perfect pair with no reduction taking place.

The second reaction is what Olaplex works to prevent. A single sulfur hydrogen bond will pair with three oxygen molecules. This creates SO3 or what is known as a sulfate group. Sulfate group will create cystic acid. Cystic acid will eat the protein out of the hair. Olaplex works by coupling with the single sulfur hydrogen bond faster than the three oxygen molecules can preventing this damage a vast majority of the time. This is how damage is prevented during the process. Olaplex does one thing and one thing only. It creates both an ionic and covalent bridge between two single sulfur hydrogen bonds to form disulfide bonds. As such, it is not chemically possible to reduce the hair via Olaplex alone.

8 World patents proves Olaplex works, if you knew how hard it is to get a patent, you would understand that you have to PROVE it works and Olaplex PROVED it 8 times, 8 patents!
What part of that don't you understand, you asked all this before in another post and you keep asking it, what part of this do you NOT understand???
I am willing to help you, but your are NOT making any sense and keep babbling about cars, Coco Cola etc.
So what's the problem? And let's keep it to Olaplex please.

Dropbox - phlex.mp4

Just going to leave this here. I would recommend anyone search the other threads that steven is leaving the exact same thing on, trying to promote colorphlex, if you understand chemistry, you will know that colorphlex, actually does the opposite. It is NOT a patented technology and it does not rebuild disulfide bonds. in the video above from a stylist, not associated with us, you will see that it actually damaged the hair worse than just using lightener. You don't even have to speak the language to understand the message in the video.

Since the video is not more available, I don't know its message. But the message of the next video is clear: the lady payed 500,00 SFR
( incl. No. 3 ) for lightening her hair from ombre to blond and coloring them with Olaplex in one session and the result was a disaster.
Damaged hair which had to be cut, hair loss in front. But she is happy with the No. 3, which being applied together with some other care products over some period of time are bringing her hair into better condition.

Sounds like the hair was previously over processed in which case nothing, not even Olaplex could help it.
Olaplex is a tool, it helps the stylist protect the hair, but not all hair should have chemical services.
I have no idea what this is saying as I do not speak her language.
If you don't like Olaplex, don't use it.
I happen to love it since it does what it says, the patent proves those tests, which again you have never taken the time to read, but again, people have their own agenda.

We have used magi bond but not as good as Olaplex. We use Olaplex on the hair extensions and get great results when lifting the virgin hair :)

I know this is an old thread, but in the silaplex vs Olaplex, there is no match, Olaplex wins, but what's worrying, Olaplex is suddenly being sold through Walmart in us...

Latest posts

Back