Olaplex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I was told to always up the developer? Seems to be a lot of conflicting advice and although I know Olaplex themselves state that they are taking on board feedback of people's experiences trying various methods, surely there should be some rights and wrongs?! 😳 Im confused ha! 🙈

I haven't looked at the app this week, but it definitely said not to raise the % on highlift tint at one time. Of course, that maybe becuase most people don't use anything higher than 12%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

What bothers me is that some US hair geeks are talking about using very high volume peroxide developers and posting about great results.
I can accept that the product repairs disulphide bonds within the cortex but surely there'll be some damage to the cuticle layer?

What bothers me is that some US hair geeks are talking about using very high volume peroxide developers and posting about great results.
I can accept that the product repairs disulphide bonds within the cortex but surely there'll be some damage to the cuticle layer?

This is also my concern, not to mention what it's doing on scalp.

Could it be that it was originally developed to use with lightener and they discovered after testing that it had strengthening qualities with normal tint and highlifts. So maybe in the beginning they were working with the lightener itself and not necessarily developers?

Anyhow, great questions everyone.

Curious to those that own and use it. I shook it up today and took a big whiff. There was an underlying note of something very familiar. Will do the sniff test again tomorrow. But would love to know what others smelled. It's not overpowering, but definitely a note I picked up.

I have seen this being used by some US bloggers. Some have been using 50vol :eek: surely it will turn out to be another one of those faddy products!

I'm not convinced!

I have seen this being used by some US bloggers. Some have been using 50vol :eek: surely it will turn out to be another one of those faddy products!

I'm not convinced!

I disagree. I don't think it a fad anymore than the "color bath" was a fad. I do, however, hope the people come to their senses and realize that using a lower developer with longer development time is better for the integrity of the clients hair, olaplex or no olaplex.

What's a colour bath?

Oh right... Well that fad definatley stuck around lol!

Curious to those that own and use it. I shook it up today and took a big whiff. There was an underlying note of something very familiar. Will do the sniff test again tomorrow. But would love to know what others smelled. It's not overpowering, but definitely a note I picked up.

So i smelled #1 today. Yes, it has a distinctive, almost sharp, familiar smell, but i can't quite place it. PM me if you don't want to say in the forum!

:) 1st one is I get that when lightening there is a little damage to the disulphide bonds... Not much, there can't possibly be much or we'd have to use nutraliser afterwards (as in when we use perm lotion we break the disulphide bonds then use nutraliser to reform them) so what about when darkening hair? I only recently found out there is any damage to the disulphide bonds when lightening as I previously thought lightner diddnt affect those areas, so does darkening hair break bonds? If not then what bonds are we repairing with olaplex?

I keep thinking on a scientific level that olaplex is either a nutraliser like perm stuff or just a heavy conditioning treatment?

That's number 1 :)

All chemicals split sulfur bonds apart in the disulphide linkage creating sulfur hydrogen bonds. Olaplex cross links these broken bonds together. The more aggressive the chemical, the more bonds you break. Bleach and perms the most. Demi and semi the least. Dean at Olaplex.

Latest posts

Back