Old nail product catastrophe

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaniNails

Reaction score
Please help. I recently bought bulk powder from a manufacturer. Most of the powders were manufacture in 11/2018 , 12/2018 and 1/2019. But two of them are older. One was manufactured 6 months ago but one of them was manufactured 3/23/2017! And it’s yellowing. The yellowing was what made me look into what could be wrong with it because the samples I was sent wasn’t like this.

Is this normal?? What should I do??? What should I say??? No wonder they gave me a discount. I have pounds of this stuff. I can’t sell or use this. And I’m now out a lot of money. My bulk primer I bought was also older. It was manufactured 4/05/18

In the pic, I tried to put it next to a white paper towel so you can s the color differenc but it didn’t show it well

Manufacturing date does indicate when a products is out of date. I've always known it to be from opening the product till however many months use it says on the label. I would not consider acrylic powder that was manufactured last year to be a risk at all as long as it was sealed and packaged well on arrival. That being said, if your product colour differs from that advertised you have every right to return the products.

Check your consumer rights from your country, in the uk if a product is not the same as advertised you can return for refund or replacement.

Manufacturing date does indicate when a products is out of date. I've always known it to be from opening the product till however many months use it says on the label. I would not consider acrylic powder that was manufactured last year to be a risk at all as long as it was sealed and packaged well on arrival. That being said, if your product colour differs from that advertised you have every right to return the products.
next month, that powder will be two years old. Also the weights are horribly off. I understand this is a bulk manufacturer and 16oz might be what they spill on the floor but, a pound off?! And that was just one of the drums. i bought 7 different 25 lb drums. One 25 lb drum was short by literally 15.9 oz They were also packaged in a plastic bag tied with a string and inside a white bucket. One was short by 7 oz, there was one color that was over by almost 2 lbs. so does that mean, go over one color and short the other? I ordered 25 lbs of ea :( super sad and frustrated. I am a small start up and put all i have into this company :(

My orders were all also taken from 200lb stock drums they had available so this stuff was opened who knows how many times and repackaged.

Where did you buy this from?? What brand is it? Or was it for your own brand that you intended to repackage and sell? I'm confused as to why you'd need this much? I assumed you were just a salon and it was for use on your clients but the weights would indicate otherwise. If this was bought from a reputable manufacturer why cant you just return it? I see you're from the USA, was the product from your country? Was a msds supplied? @BobSweden would be better placed to advise on this.

Last edited:
This was intended for me to brand and repackage for sale. I just received the product from them this past friday evening before they closed for the weekend, so today is the first day they're open since i received it. I will be contacting them today about everything. I made this thread to get advice on how to handle it. Im hoping this was just an oversight and not deliberately done because Im new, this is considered a small order, and they didn't think Id weigh it or notice the off color and manufacturer date. It was odd that they offered me a random discount off that color, now maybe it makes sense, but why sell it to me in the first place??. When i picked everything up, only my coa for everything was given to me. I was told they would email all of the sds, which I havent received yet.

I mainly wanted to see if i was overreacting or was this "normal" (22month old bulk powder, significantly off by weight)

I may be completely wrong about this, but..........I honestly don't know why you are hung up on the manufacturing date or colour, that is, in my opinion, the least of your worries. This whole deal sounds dodgy to me. Even if the dates and colours are fine. You have absolutely no idea what the exact ingredients are. You have no idea if anything has contaminated this product whilst stored in drums, and the fact they are clearly scooping it out of drums to place it in a plastic bag tying it with string then sending it out in a bucket, would ring alarm bells that this isn't a very reputable manufacturer.
I mean, is this normal??

Do you even know this stuff is at all safe to use?

You mentioned getting the polymer powder and primer from this manufacturer, what about the monomer?

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but this story seems weird to me.

Check your consumer rights from your country, in the uk if a product is not the same as advertised you can return for refund or replacement.

Just as an aside. In the UK, if the OP is purchasing products for business use, the consumer regs don’t apply.

If the OP is purchasing products for business use, the consumer regs don’t apply.
I didnt realise it was for business use....until the plot thickened!

Just as an aside. In the UK, if the OP is purchasing products for business use, the consumer regs don’t apply.
Ah, ignore me, I re read that and see exactly what you mean. Sorry, I'm old, slow and tired.

Ah, ignore me, I re read that and see exactly what you mean. Sorry, I'm old, slow and tired.

I’ll join your club. I’ve had a persistent cold since the beginning of January and feel about 80 most days. :eek:

I may be completely wrong about this, but..........I honestly don't know why you are hung up on the manufacturing date or colour, that is, in my opinion, the least of your worries. This whole deal sounds dodgy to me. Even if the dates and colours are fine. You have absolutely no idea what the exact ingredients are. You have no idea if anything has contaminated this product whilst stored in drums, and the fact they are clearly scooping it out of drums to place it in a plastic bag tying it with string then sending it out in a bucket, would ring alarm bells that this isn't a very reputable manufacturer.
I mean, is this normal??

Do you even know this stuff is at all safe to use?

You mentioned getting the polymer powder and primer from this manufacturer, what about the monomer?

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but this story seems weird to me.
No not harsh at all! This is my 3rd order with them but my first of something of this size and amount of colors. Yes ive ordered monomer from them. that was my first purchase. Ive ordered clear powder as well. All went well with those. Im not sure how they repackaged my order. Ive received my coas from them (certificates of authenticity) but not the sds that they were supposed to email to me. As i mentioned, it was just after the close of the day, that I picked up. Most customers have their orders delivered by fed ex but because i was so close, they let me drive up to their loading dock and pick up. I am upset about the date and off color because its not sell-able for me. I wouldn't sell this. not that old and yellowing. It could end me before I start to launch a faulty or outdated product.

It may be worthwhile finding out the shelf life of these products. Then you have some idea of how long post manufacturing they are expected to remain good.
My orders were all also taken from 200lb stock drums they had available so this stuff was opened who knows how many times and repackaged.
This is clearly a concern and I can see why.

Im not sure how they repackaged my order. I

This is how they were repackaged
They were also packaged in a plastic bag tied with a string and inside a white bucket.

I totally understand your concerns and appreciate you've invested a lot of money in this, but if I were you, I'd be returning my order and looking for a new manufacturer. I would consider them far too risky to deal with.

Latest posts

Back