Retail???What do you mean Retail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
Mrs. Geek posted a poll for 2006 about how we were going to improve or make a living. So far education is in the lead, as it well should be, and retail is running a close second.

I thought I'd put my 2 cents in and maybe help a few fellow geeks put a little more cash in their pockets.

Retail, the only employee who doesn't call in sick, never takes time off, requires little or no supervision, and has no family committments. It quietly sits on the shelf (maybe collecting dust) and just waits, patiently until someone remembers it sits there.

Ok, so how do you go about selling retail....EDUCATION! Educate yourself about the products you carry, as you use them educate your clients about the products you are using and educate your staff about what is available as well. You do not have to be a salesperson, a quiet reccommendation will usually do.

Take somethings into consideration:
1. How many of your clients use lotion or hand creme?
2. How many use cuticle oil?
3. How many use Shampoo or hair care products?
Here's the biggie
4. Where are they buying these products from?

If you answered number 4, from me, then forget this post and move along to something more fun, like chewing nails, so you have something to do later!

The typical mark up on professional products allows us to easily replace our investment by selling one or two items. Even if you offer a discount instead of using the manufacturer's reccommended price, it will replace itself and pay for part of another.

Professional retail products are higher quality and less diluted with wax and other fillers than products that are available to the general public at a discount store or pharmacy. There are more uses per ounce or mililiter when using professional retail products than over the counter products.

Professional retail products are formulated to support and enhance our work. The manufacturer's have realized that we need at home support and aftercare products to keep our work in prime condition until it grows out or needs to be rebalaced or replaced.

All righty then, we've mentioned education, I even gave you some hints about things you can educate your clients about (cost per use, quality, personal recommendation) now lets talk about that display....

Where is your display? Do they have to look at it or walk past it on the way to your table? What does your display look like? Is it dusty? Is it themed? Decorated? Well stocked? Does everything have a price sticker or shelf talker? Do you have impulse buy objects, you know those cute files with cartoon characters on one side and your salon info on the other?

When you buy your retail when do you do it? A good piece of advice here, save up and buy when it is on sale. Keep track of what you sell a bunch of and when your distributor has a sale buy a little extra. You can pass the savings on to your clients or you can store it and put it out as needed. You may want to stock up on things and do a sale or retail night...I think a Creative Party was mentioned once, that would be kind of fun!

Create a stable, friendly relationship with your distributor. If you pay your bills on time and support them, they are better equiped to help you achieve your goals. A good working relationship with your distributor will also open doors for when sales are coming up and when education or manufacturer's classes are coming up. Distributors work for us, but with out them we would not be able to do our jobs.

What about your nail table? Do you have anything for sale there? A sample bottle of lotion or a tester of hand creme? Anything for the client to open and smell, ask questions about? When you use something explain what it is, what it does, why you use that product and hand it to them. Human instinct when someone hands you something, you take it, usually with out thinking and you look at it. (try this with anything, while having a casual conversation, hand something doesn't matter what, to the person you are talking to, they look at you a little strange depending on what you hand them, but they take it)

When your client gets ready to pay for their service do you just take their money or do you offer them some of the products you have used or reccommended? A good phrase to use: would you like to take the__________ home today? ask them while you are handing it to them. They will usually look at the product and make their decision. They may say I'll get it next time or something to that effect, but the seed has been planted and a carefully tended garden grows well.

Keep track of what your clients have purchased so that you know when to offer an item or if one of their favorite products goes on sale. Knowing when they are out, what scent they liked or what products they use helps us to maintain a professional relationship that is considerate and caring. Kind of like when our distributors contact us and let us know about upcoming education or product sales.

Retail doesn't have to be hard, it really doesn't take much work, and it can effectively raise your bottom line with out putting in any more hours. If your profit margin is 3 dollars (don't know the conversion..so maybe a pound?) for one retail item and you sold 1 item to each client you did you may come close to making enough that it would be like adding another new set to the end of the day.

I realise that you won't sell a retail item to every client, every day, but remember to plant the seeds, let them know about the products that are available, remind them each time they come in, and eventually your retail "garden" will grow and blossom. In fact it will grow and blossom so well that you'll be able to fly over and have an American Geekmeet!! While your garden is growing keep investing, don't forget to replace what you've sold!!!

Jeni that was bloody fantastic - gold star for you hun!

My retail sales have soared in the past few months by doing exactly what you have said. I have a fully stocked display at my clients eye level when I work. I move it around monthly and am surprised when people ask if something is new - no it's just in a new place.

I know my products well and what they can do. I have try me's on the nail desk, and a monthly special offer.

But most importatnly when a client asks about something I'm not afraid to tell them, they've asked cos they are interested and I've found they don't always take it at that appointment but they do at some point.

wow really great post!! xx

i just havent got the hang of this retailing thing....ONE becuase i think i should have LOTS of everything not just one or two of this and that....and two because i HATE it when i go to the hairdressers and they say i used this this and this would you like to buy some to take home its £££££loads a £££££

Its a phobia i am going to conquer in the new year.....squeeze them pennies out of their pockets while i have them in the salon!!

AMb x

MINKUS said:
i just havent got the hang of this retailing thing....ONE becuase i think i should have LOTS of everything not just one or two of this and that....and two because i HATE it when i go to the hairdressers and they say i used this this and this would you like to buy some to take home its £££££loads a £££££

Its a phobia i am going to conquer in the new year.....squeeze them pennies out of their pockets while i have them in the salon!!

AMb x

All right, I'll admit it, I'm a compulsive shopper too, but having said that, do you really 6 bottles each of 3 different shades that you've never liked and will never use?

A helpful starting point, pick one item...say (because this is where my students start) a bottle of Creative Scentsations. They use it for their service, tell them what it's for, why they are using it and that it is available for purchase. They get to practice this for a while, until they are comfortable enough to ask would you like to take a bottle home with you today?

They keep on with one product until they are used to aking every client about it before we add another. Keep adding one product at a time until you are comfortable and it becomes a habit. ( you don't have to be pushy, think about the hairdresser...you're probably still thinking about what she suggested and wondering if you really need it, she'll probably offer you something different next time, but again, you're still thinking about her, she's a persistant and careful gardener)

Try not to offer them things they don't need, a person who comes in regularly, always chooses the same polish and returns to you with that same polish usually won't buy polish or polish remover, but may be interested in lotions, body wash or bath fizzies.

Remember that some clients (unlike us) are shy, they may want to ask, but are embaressed. Some clients may not even know that you have things available to them.

Retail isn't bad or scary and you do not have to turn into one of those pushy salespeople you find at the holidays.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've already got.....plant that seed and squeeze a penny!!! (start earning what you are worth....millions!! Ok so I'm not making millions, but I am comfortable!!)

Great thread...my hubby is always on at me to 'up-sell, retail, retail, retail' and I am getting better at it.

I had a display of buffers on my stand that had been there for ages, they're really good ones and really bring the nails up good and shiney...as I wasn't selling any, I started using them to complete my service....when clients saw howgood they were, I sold the lot!

I put some hand lotions on the recption desk todaya nd took thm oun o th lients to try, just need to follow thi up with would you like to purchase one lol.
thansks jeni ill try some o your techniques as retail should be good at thi time of year.x

Latest posts

Back