Online booking software - potential problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
Thinking about salon scheduling software which allows clients to book online. Schedul is what is being considered. Its a Manicure and Pedicure business.

Not quite sure how this works but its assumed the client makes the booking online and Schedul blocks off that time for that client. The software is setup by service and each service has a time value eg Manicure – 30 minutes.

Assuming thats how it works; Client A books a manicure 2 weeks in advance. The time chosen is 1 PM. Its a 30 minute service so 1 – 1.30 is booked. Client B books a Service which is set for a 1 hour appointment, 1.30 PM till 2.30 PM.

When Client A arrives for her appointment she decides she actually wants a service which will take longer than her 30 minute appointment. The question is do I say “Sorry thats not possible as I have another client at 1.30 PM” and risk losing future appointments with this client OR do I say “Ok, I will extend your appointment” where I run the risk of losing Client B?

This scenario is just as complex if a 1 hour slot is booked 2 weeks in advance and due to changed commitments the client only has time for a 30 minute appointment. I would then find myself with a 30 minute gap between clients. There is insufficient walk-in opportunities to have a chance of filling that gap.

Maybe I am seeing problems which are not there.

How would you manage these scenarios?

Edit: Thinking further about my scenarios, maybe the situations exist regardless of the means of booking be it telephone or online?

Last edited:
To be honest, I think you're really over thinking this and, while you're not exactly imagining scenarios, you're creating problems for yourself. It's exactly the same as if you had a paper diary and a telephone.

Word to the wise: never let a client know that you've cancelled their appointment to accommodate another client. That you don't value them is a prime reason to investigate other local salons.

I use Shedul and have found it well worthwhile. You just need to make it clear on booking that alterations to services must be done online. That way the client will see for themselves whether or not you have more time available.

I must add, the help and support I have received from Schedul has been outstanding and I can also run promotions from it.[emoji106]

Thinking about salon scheduling software which allows clients to book online. Schedul is what is being considered. Its a Manicure and Pedicure business.

Not quite sure how this works but its assumed the client makes the booking online and Schedul blocks off that time for that client. The software is setup by service and each service has a time value eg Manicure – 30 minutes.

Assuming thats how it works; Client A books a manicure 2 weeks in advance. The time chosen is 1 PM. Its a 30 minute service so 1 – 1.30 is booked. Client B books a Service which is set for a 1 hour appointment, 1.30 PM till 2.30 PM.

When Client A arrives for her appointment she decides she actually wants a service which will take longer than her 30 minute appointment. The question is do I say “Sorry thats not possible as I have another client at 1.30 PM” and risk losing future appointments with this client OR do I say “Ok, I will extend your appointment” where I run the risk of losing Client B?

This scenario is just as complex if a 1 hour slot is booked 2 weeks in advance and due to changed commitments the client only has time for a 30 minute appointment. I would then find myself with a 30 minute gap between clients. There is insufficient walk-in opportunities to have a chance of filling that gap.

Maybe I am seeing problems which are not there.

How would you manage these scenarios?

Edit: Thinking further about my scenarios, maybe the situations exist regardless of the means of booking be it telephone or online?

I agree that Shedul is a great booking app and have received so much help from Shedul themselves. I cannot praise the program or the people enough. And its FREE!

As for the scenarios you have mentioned, to over come these kind of issues I do not allow my clients to book themselves in.
I do understand that this is a feature a lot of beauty businesses allow but it doesn't work for me. This can be especially annoying when its a new client.
You might also need to consider new clients could book and then be no-shows.... it happens. THIS is one of the reasons I don't allow online booking.
Maybe in time it might suit you to allow some clients to do so but not all. Shedul allows this feature, you can block particular clients from booking online.

As far as your first scenario goes, I would politely advise the client that the following appointment slot is booked so unfortunately I cannot do the service she requires as it will take extra time. I would carry out the service she has booked for and advise that next time she will need to book accordingly to allow enough time and if she is unsure to contact you. I would never move another clients appointment to accommodate clients like this.

Unfortunately gaps are just a part of this kind of business. Use that time for housekeeping duties such as cleaning the salon, sanitising tools, restocking etc.
If you really wanted to you could advise the client at the time she needs to pay for the service booked and you will book her in for the other part at a later date/time. I personally would not do this and only do and charge for the shorter service but it's really up to you.

Its your business and up to you how you manage it. Don't let the clients dictate to you.

Latest posts

Back