Opening a beauty salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalina

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,I wondering if somebody can help me with some information about changing the use of building (A1 shop to Sui Geniries).
So I found a empty shop for a rent( London -borough of Kensington and chelsea -Ladbroke grove ), I contact the agent and he ask me to send my business plan for the property . After a week he contact me back and said that he doesn't think that I am suitable,because I wanted to turn the shop into beauty and hair salon and if it was hairdressers only should be ok.
I just wondering if somebody of you has been in that kind of situation .
I really like the shop ,the location and the rent is good.
Please if anybody can give me some advise.
Thank you

Advice on what? If the landlord says no. He says no. Could be various reasons. One being there may be discrepancies with your business plan, he can give you any old reason why he doesn't want you as a tenant.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It sounds like your business plan is the issue.
I've just sold all my salons, and the amount of underfunded people is shocking. You CANNOT do a business without a good plan, and plenty of funding in place.
I'm not saying this is you, OP, but I've dealt with about 100 viewings for my salon, most of whom didn't have the money to even buy it, let alone pay for legals, deposits, etc. it was painful.
I'd have all these time wasters who believed that they would be given a business, fully fitted, a tenanted flat, and a shop, all for nothing, and act all shocked that I asked for a premium.
A friend who's a freeholder had an empty shop up for rent, and a prospective tenant asked for five years audited accounts from the previous business! He wanted guarantees that his business would work! He was then horrified at the legal fees involved.

Agents normally ask you what you want to use the premesis for and then they normally tell you whether or not you are suitable as to what the landlord will accept. He may not want to bother going through planning permission as it can take several months to be accepted and after it still may not be accepted. Also some landlords are funny if this is your first venture.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think A1 is fine for a beauty salon so maybe it's something else

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

A1 is not necessarily fine for a beauty salon as it depends what your local council will class the use of a beauty salon. Some councils class hair as A1 and class beauty as Sui generis. So unless your council class beauty as A1 you are ok on that part. Do you know this information already?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you very much for all of your replays.
I already check with the local council and A1 shop is suitable for a hairdressers ,but not beauty and nails.
I would like to do hair and beauty salon.
It has to be changed to "Sui generies" ,it takes up to 8 weeks and it cost £ 385.
I just think the landlord doesn't want to change the use of the shop ,because it takes time.
It's so difficult to find a shop in the right location and good price .
If it was just hairdressing shop it will be a bit easier I guess.
Any way I'll keep looking .

Thank you very much for all of your replays.
I already check with the local council and A1 shop is suitable for a hairdressers ,but not beauty and nails.
I would like to do hair and beauty salon.
It has to be changed to "Sui generies" ,it takes up to 8 weeks and it cost £ 385.
I just think the landlord doesn't want to change the use of the shop ,because it takes time.
It's so difficult to find a shop in the right location and good price .
If it was just hairdressing shop it will be a bit easier I guess.
Any way I'll keep looking .

You can have both in A1 use in some boroughs, but then I believe it has to be 95% Hair and 5% beauty. There are so many salons open nowadays that open with Hair on A1 and then start doing beauty. Took us over a year to find the right property and after so many disappointments and let downs, we finally have one which we opened 3 months ago. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back