opening a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderwomen

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am new to this forum, I have been browsing and its great.

I am a beauty therapist and Make Up Artist. I want to open my own salon can anyone please guide me on what I need to do. I have seen a few properties and interested in one in particular.

Can you advise me about the initial setup, (how much I need) also about staff, were i could hire them from other than job centre and colleges and pay structure.

I look forward in hear from you

Wonderwomen

Can I ask a quick question which I know has nothing to do with what you were posting a message about? Where did you do your Make-Up artistry training, I live in Scotland and only one college offer the course, I'm not sure whether to look further afield?

Hi there

If you're starting to make plans to go into owning a salon or any business you'll find that 'how do i ' comes into your mind more than it has ever done before.

There are a lot of support out there for people who have a passion and a drive but don't have all the info they need. Business Link seems to be one of the most popular here and I know many geeks speak highly of them.

How much money needed depends on what you want to set up and what kind of budget you are on. You won't be able to create your perfect salon at first, but in time it will get there with bits of investment here and there.

Don't underestimate the amount of money it can cost if you are going it alone.

If you have seen a building the first questions I would be asking with regards to money and budgeting is..

1) Rent (obviously) but how much is it with VAT and rates as that really stacks on the price with the rates in some areas. Also is there a service charge on top of the rent?

2) Plumbing, electrics etc. Does the building have adequate plumbing and wiring for what you will need. For example if you need sockets near your nail stations for your fans etc, would you need to add on cost for extra sockets or plumbing to be put in?

3)Fitting it out and decorating it. Realistically is it in a workable condition and just needs some sprucing, or will it need some serious work which would require joiners and other expensive trade guys to come in.

4)Is it somewhere that can be seen easily? If people can't see it you would have to add on more money to your advertising budget to let people know about you.

As for staff...there are a lot of legal implications with employing people so if I were you I would get reading on the subject. Read books, read the online pages of the Inland Revenue etc and make sure you understand what would be required of you.

Pay is always down to experience. You pay people what they are worth. If you are employing a very skilled technician or therapist who will bring clients and has a great track record, then they won't be happy taking a low salary just because you don't have the money yet.

It just takes a LOT of planning and more notepads of notes and calculations than you ever though possible to get it done. It's dull and boring, because everyone wants to be in and trading yesterday, but truly it's all in the planning.

Good luck with making your plans.

Do lots of searches on the site and look at some of the great articles that geeks have taken the time to write. Take the advice on board as there are a lot of geeks on the board with a lot of technical and business experience.

Hope you have fun with it.

Thankyou very much, very useful info

Is there any geeks out there who can give me anymore info

I want to open a salon with 2 beauty room and and hairdressers....what type of budget do you think i will need.

The beauty side will have everything, facial, manicures, pedi, waxing, threading, makeup, etc

Any comments will be appreciated

this subject has been discussed many times so if you use the SEARCH button you will find the past threads and read many good tips.

Latest posts

Back