opening my own salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathill

Reaction score
its been on the cards now for a couple of years and now is the time for me to start seriously concidering opening my own beauty salon. How many of you have tanning salons? im not one for sunbeds and quit using them myself over 6 years ago i much prefer spray tanning now and im all for safe tanning HOWEVER! i know people still use beds and im thinking should i offer this service in my salon aswell i would have to have very strict guide lines though and i need to make sure im well up on the safety aspects of uv usage i thought it was a dying industry but having observed some salons around my town i see that loads of people are still packing in the tanning salons i dont know whAT TO DO ........... any advice?????

Hi!Im totally new to this site and also to owning a salon as I too am in the whole research stage, but your post struck a chord as Ive encountered the same thing-well kind of! So just thought I would give you my 2pennies worth! Ive looked at 2 salons to buy that had sunbeds incl in the f&f's, although I used to be a big fan of sunbeds years ago-I now shy away from them from a health aspect. Should I have ended up going for these businesses-I would have sold the beds straight away or asked for them to removed by the previous owner. I asked both of the salon owners whether they were popular and both said no they are used more by the staff than theyre clients! I think if your going to tan, youre more likely to go to a sunbed shop whos sole concern is tanning rather than a salon that had 1 bed in it.......just my own personal opinion. Also, and it may not be the case for eveyone as each to their own, but to me, the concept of my salon will be to promote total wellbeing and get clients to start taking care of themselves to help prevent/delay the signs of aging (amongst other things).Whereas trying to convey this message, whilst on the other hand completely contradicting myself by having a sunbed in the next room gives a mixed message!

I hope this hasnt offended anyone!
hth!
x

I have one vertical sunbed in my salon,
last year i had people queuing out of the door to use it but this year it has been hardly used at all hth

Latest posts

Back