Opening Salon Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi There,

Recently new on this website and I'm just researching into opening a Salon. The location itself is on top of an existing Hair & Beauty shop.

How much would it cost to set something up i.e. furniture.

Also, those who have existing salons have you seen drop in your sales due to the "recession"?

I not a hairdresser myself and I am looking to employ someone to lead a good team of professional hair dressers.

Hi.

If you are not a hairdresser yourself then you will find it very hard to turn a profit if you are not working the floor yourself. Even when it is not a recession, it is a tough job to make money as a non-productive salon owner.

I have had my salon 4 years, work 60 odd hours each week and still don't always bring home a wage. Salon management is very different to normal management (I have done both) and a knowledge of the industry inside out is needed. I have also worked in high end salons with teams of 15-20 salons and still they need a productive manager.

Salons work simply. You trade in services, when a stylist has made enough in services a wage can be earned and the overheads paid. If the owner is lucky she/he gets paid too! So, unless you have a service to trade, then it is in effective and too costly.

As for set up costs, how long is a piece of string? My salon cost almost £30,000 to start, including the legal side. Plus, as I had such a small budget, I didn't get it exactly like I wanted so I spent another £6000 last year.

And not to put too much of a downer on it, you would need to have a good knowledge of hairdressing to get your good team of stylists. You would need to trade test them all and know what you are looking at.

If you are really serious about this, then get yourself a hairdressing qualification. Then work the floor for at least 5 years, then maybe consider a salon. :)

I agree with Donna. To open a salon, with no knowledge of what you are doing, expect a team to materialise, and turn a profit even though you cannot generate income yourself? rather you than me.
I allocate between 50 to 100 thousand per salon for fit out and first year. That is with me as a working hairdresser in all my salons as well. Even with extensive industry know how and experience, I get it wrong regarding staff. A newbie would have rings run round them.

Please re-read your post and try and see it from a different point of view, to have to ask how much a salon costs when you are gonna start one up says that you havn't done your business plan or proper research yet. As a multiple salon owner, I find that naivety a bit scary.

Can i ask why you would want to open a salon on top of an existing salon?!

Can i ask why you would want to open a salon on top of an existing salon?!
Hey thank you veryone for your in-depth analysis.

Im really tired as ive just come back from gym and just want to answer angelinas question. Its not a salon its a hair and beauty store. They sell hair extensions over 50 shades of blondes etc.

Maybe its worth it for someone who has already has ben in the game to open it as I don't believe it would be worth it for myself.

Latest posts

Back