OPI Gelcolor chipping, what am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupandbeauty

Reaction score
I have browsed the forums on this and I feel like banging my head against the wall.

I started doing OPI gel in May and still having issues. The main thing is that they're chipping at the free edge. I thought maybe I wasn't capping them properly but I had a nail tech watch me and she said to do it thinly after each nail plate polish which I am doing.

I have had mine on 11 days and they're fine. But I don't have any return nail clients, and I have been going 3 months and have clients return for every other service except gel polish and I have had a fair few complaints.

A nail tech started a few weeks ago and she watched me and said other than being a bit thick, I was doing everything right. I have made a massive effort to be so much thinner, and to do more coats if necessary.

I was doing one of the hair stylists and hers would chip after a few days. The last time I did them, they lasted 5 days and then as soon as she came back to work, they chipped. I said maybe it was something she was doing and since them both she and the owner have barely spoken to me. The nail tech did them, and they have lasted a week and now have a few chips.

I've done a few clients this week, and one lady's lasted 4 days, then one chipped, and then a few days later a few more chipped. Another lady, hers on,y lasted a day before they chipped.

Help!!

This is after a week, she uses washing up gloves.

Attachments

• 1469979367377.jpg
    1469979367377.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 130
Maybe walk us through your application steps? Could be your prep? What prep products do you use? What lamp are you using?

So I cleanse with swissguard, and then file with an OPI 150 or 180 file. Push back and clean all tissue with swissguard- this is as advised by OPI, I stopped using any other products in case this was the issue. The wipe thoroughly with nas99 spray. Bond aid, then thin base coat over whole nail plate, and cap free edge thinly. Every finger nail, cure for 30 secs in Gellux led lamp, then do other hand, then thumbs. Colour thickly, cap, cure X 3 (as otherwise the colour isn't opaque) then top coat same. Wipe thoroughly with nas99.

I've been doing them as thin as possible, as a nail tech watched me and said she thought they were a little thick, hence doing an extra coat for the colour.

Could it be the Gellux lamp? It's always advised that you use the lamp for the system.

Last edited:
Also do you have any photos of nails you've done? Not being judgemental, just trying to see if we can help you. :D

At a guess I'd also say the lamp is the issue.

I popped that one up there? I'll see if I can find one x

IMO it's the lamp, and the pic you posted looks too thin of an application.

Ah yes, I was suggesting a picture of newly done nails as they sometimes show signs of any mistakes in the application.

I bet you its the lamp, have you considered purchasing the OPI lamp? I've never used either the Gellux or the OPI lamps, but could they be sensitive to hand placement? I.e if the client shove the hands in too far the tips could be undercured if the UV light isn't hitting them properly.

I have browsed the forums on this and I feel like banging my head against the wall.

I started doing OPI gel in May and still having issues. The main thing is that they're chipping at the free edge. I thought maybe I wasn't capping them properly but I had a nail tech watch me and she said to do it thinly after each nail plate polish which I am doing.

I have had mine on 11 days and they're fine. But I don't have any return nail clients, and I have been going 3 months and have clients return for every other service except gel polish and I have had a fair few complaints.

A nail tech started a few weeks ago and she watched me and said other than being a bit thick, I was doing everything right. I have made a massive effort to be so much thinner, and to do more coats if necessary.

I was doing one of the hair stylists and hers would chip after a few days. The last time I did them, they lasted 5 days and then as soon as she came back to work, they chipped. I said maybe it was something she was doing and since them both she and the owner have barely spoken to me. The nail tech did them, and they have lasted a week and now have a few chips.

I've done a few clients this week, and one lady's lasted 4 days, then one chipped, and then a few days later a few more chipped. Another lady, hers on,y lasted a day before they chipped.

Help!!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Salon services decided to stop selling opi gel polish after a couple of months as they had so many complaints from techs saying the product doesn't last, peels chips etc

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Salon services decided to stop selling opi gel polish after a couple of months as they had so many complaints from techs saying the product doesn't last, peels chips etc

My local salon services sells gelcolor.

I think a major issue for OPI was they were so late to gel polish that to win a market share they priced their course the lowest, let people attend who had zero experience of nails, held big classes in wholesalers & didn't make you buy the right equipment to perform the service - they lend you lamps etc.

Those attending received less tuition, often lacked basic knowledge due to mostly having no industry qualifications and many then economised and bought a budget led after course completion as they hadn't been forced to buy the correct light to attend. All this combined to result in heightened instances of service breakdown.

There is nothing wrong with gelcolor it's a great product and is used successfully by thousands.

Have you tried a new base or top coat. Yours might be contaminated also make sure you shake polish. Also some colors shrink up before you cure. With those do a couple fingers at a time capping well and flash cure. Also make sure your gel polish is stored correctly.

As with any system you need to use the accompanying lamp, it gives out the correct amount of power to cure that product alone, obviously problems are going arise if the correct kit isn't used and manufacturers instructions are ignored.

As with any system you need to use the accompanying lamp, it gives out the correct amount of power to cure that product alone, obviously problems are going arise if the correct kit isn't used and manufacturers instructions are ignored.

I'd say the lamp. I don't have problems with mine or the ones I've done... Try new base also and the correct lamp..

Latest posts

Back