OPI GelColour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari123

Reaction score
Hi I've recently trained in the OPI GelColour system and slowly been buying my kit. I initially went with OPI as its a higher end brand even though it's expensive thought the quality would be worth it. However I'm finding that the clients I've done so far are all requesting bright neon colours which OPI don't seem to do. They all seem to want the cheaper gel systems that tend to be used in the Chinese nail shops due to the bright vibrant colours. I'm now worried that I've paid all this money when it doesn't seem to be the quality that's bringing the clients in!? I don't know wether to train in another system like gelish or DND colours? Any advice? X it's for the same for my lacquers the bright colours aren't there. Thought OPI being such a huge brand would have some x

OPI GelColour does have some neon options though, there was a neon collection brought out in 2014 I think it was and they still offer neons in their GelColours. Have you looked at perhaps getting some of those?

Hi Bronstar

I have seen the neons advertised but OPI no longer sell them directly through my trade account and neither do Capital. I'm trying to find out if I can find somewhere who sells them so I can have a look rather than order online as colours never look the same online. But had no luck. I have brought some colours from there brights collection but still not bright enough my clients are saying X

Gelish do some really bright neon colours you can buy them from sallys x

I'll have a look at gelish. Will I need a separate lamp? I've just brought the new OPI LED lamp which cost me over £240 so wondered if I could still use this as its a decent lamp. X

Oh that's a Shame. Another option would be to use pigments but I'm not sure how cost/time effective and practical that would be for you given that it seems like it's the majority of your clients.

I agree with Jay RS though. I also use Gelish and they have some fantastic brights. I'm not sure about your lamp (as I don't personally work with OPI) but according to Hand & Nail Hamromy's website:

Tech Tips: Hand & Nail Harmony recommended cure times are based on using a 5 watt LED Light or 36 watt UV Light for curing. For best performance follow recommended cure times.

Sallys (trade only stores) did have the opi gelcolors, I use to buy them from there a few years ago so not sure if they still do

I had this problem with shellac but you have 2 options, you can either use neon pigment powders over white (lecente do good ones and so does Gnarly nails Inc aka GNI) or just get a few colours in another brand, I personally have both pigments and some bottles of IBD gel as they do some fab neons and they dont break the bank, starburst is an amazing shocking pink colour! just because you need some neons doesnt mean you have to change systems. The IBD gel stays on really well aswell, the only negative is that you may need 3 coats instead of 2 if its a bit see through as its not as thick as other brands ive used, the pigments are better for ombre and nail art while polishes are better for block colour xx

Hi I've recently trained in the OPI GelColour system and slowly been buying my kit. I initially went with OPI as its a higher end brand even though it's expensive thought the quality would be worth it. However I'm finding that the clients I've done so far are all requesting bright neon colours which OPI don't seem to do. They all seem to want the cheaper gel systems that tend to be used in the Chinese nail shops due to the bright vibrant colours. I'm now worried that I've paid all this money when it doesn't seem to be the quality that's bringing the clients in!? I don't know wether to train in another system like gelish or DND colours? Any advice? X it's for the same for my lacquers the bright colours aren't there. Thought OPI being such a huge brand would have some x

I'm pretty sure Sally's still stock OPI Gelcolour as long as you have a trade account [emoji4]

I would look into Gelish for the few colors that you are missing with OPI. I do OPI gel color and love the soak off and all of their colors. But they are lacking in the neons department. Gelish cures in a generic 36W UV lamp (according to the H&N Harmony) which is a much less expensive option to provide a complete cure than the hit & miss with trying to cure in the OPI LED lamp. I've noticed that when I (on myself only) tried to cure Gelish using the OPI LED lamp (black one) that the top coat came out dull. This made me think that maybe it didn't cure properly. I wouldn't want to take any risks with clients.

INK Londond do lovely neon colours, it's such a cheap system but it is brilliant I couldn't fault it. It's also a pro only rand which is a bonus x

Latest posts

Back