Opinions on retailing different brands...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Heya All,

Just had a new hairdresser start who has previously had sucessful salons of his own. He was quizzing me about my retail as I do know I have a fair bit of it...Dermalogica, Philip Kingsley shampoos and conditioners, GHD styling products, nails inc polishes, OCC lip tar, Fake Bake Tan, Eylure lashes and some Daniel Sandler Makeup (but I generally order as i go on this as there is too much and every client is so different.)

I use all the products that are right for me and know in depth about them all, Ihave them all on open shelves with the best sellers, lashes, dermalogica skin health on lower shelves and more expensive lines up a bit higher as they are more specilised and more expensive. All prices were in photo frames but all the staff kept calling me on my day off to double check things and they kept moving the frames...so we put them into a display book which i thought was okay as you remember the things you sell 24/7 and then just double check when clients ask...but new hairdresser thinks that prices should be more easily displayed....

I generally don't sell lots and have tried setting competitions with staff-which always ends in a argument- and they get 10% comission...but it's just sitting on the shelves making them look good. What are your tips for me...

how do you sucessfully retail in your salon?
do you find yourselves really 'actively' selling?
what are your best sellers?
how is your retail displayed?
what motivates your staff to sell/recommend homecare?

Two ideas I've had is to discount (urgh) dermalogica for 6 months to keep up with competition online. And to get badges made saying 'ask me about this seasons hottest nail colours' or 'ask me for a face map today' What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks! x

Its a condition of their employment that my staff retail and upsell. Mine get 10% too, and seem to take great pleasure in retailing.

Have you ever sent them (or had a trainer in) for sales training? It can really help them break down their own barriers.
I always point out that mine get more commission from selling a shampoo and conditioner as they do a gents haircut. It is money for nothing.

Lots of staff resist retailing, but you have to be firm on this. If they don't recommend homecare, they are not giving the full service for which the client has paid.

Thanks for that...I think I have to get some sales training sorted. I know Dermalogica do sales training for free- the kick off day or half a day and then I think I might be able to find an independent trainer locally. Might try and calculate a scale for retailing, or some sort of bonus if they sell over a certain amount.

Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back