Opinions on "Saturday girls"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeroprojection

Reaction score
well basically weve had an incredibly busy january period, thanks in part to our colour sale and also some new stores opening in our shopping centre. its gotten to the stage that we've ran out of tint bowls, towels, clean teacups etc because our only junior is also taking clients in this busy period (blowdrying and applying tints for which she has passed her units and very competent)
This has led to us suggesting to the owner that maybe a saturday girl would come in handy, he seems apprehensive to take anybody on but im unsure why. Has anybody had a saturday girl before and what was your experience.

PS we dont need a full time junior just yet so wouldnt want to waste the money on somebody all week

we always had saturday girls in the salon, they do come in very handy but maybe ask her to come in 1 night a week when its quieter so you can give her a heads up teach her how to shampoo take colour off and even how to act around clients, coz if they dont have a clue they just end up in the way, (i dont mean that nasty, they would also feel uncomfortable) they used to get paid 15

oh cool cool, that was another question was payment. Were open from 8.30 to 5 on a saturday but she or he could just start at 9 so therefore an 8 hour day i was thinking say £20- £25.
Or do you think a part time stylist 1 day a week maybe better?

We always had Saturday girls & they were a great help, it's always about picking the right person though isn't it, :)

oh cool cool, that was another question was payment. Were open from 8.30 to 5 on a saturday but she or he could just start at 9 so therefore an 8 hour day i was thinking say £20- £25.
Or do you think a part time stylist 1 day a week maybe better?

well what do you need someone to help with all the little jobs, shampoo, treatment colour off, tea n coffee or someone to do clients you cant fit in, i would imagine a stylist would want her own column to make herself money, 15 quid was a few years back so yea maybe 20ish, good luck

I rent a room within a hair salon. They have a full time stylist/manager, a self-employed stylist that works to her clients and another self-employed stylist that does 3 days per week. They are small but busy and they have a saturday girl.

She is really sweet and great at doing all the things you just don't have time for. Namely cleaning up, shampooing and answering the phone. (no receptionist) And she has really been handy. The owner is as tight as they come and if she wasn't, there is no way he would keep her.

She's at college (not for hair) and just wanted some money during the weekend. She does 9-5 and gets £30 xx

We have up to four assistants on a saturday. Couldnt do without them, they are brilliant! they do a 7 hour day and get £25
xx

Maybe contact your local college and see if any of the full time hair students are interested in a saturday job, I'm sure a lot of them would jump at the chance of some salon experience and they would be helpful if needed for blow drying etc as they would have abit of knowledge about hair.

Agree with the last poster, it's experience for them, and they already have at least the basics of shampooing down, if anyone in the salon is an assessor then they could even potentially pass units while at work and you have somewhere to fall back on if there is any problems xoxo

Saturday assistants are so valuable in a busy salon environment! They take the pressure off the stylists with regards to cleaning up/shampooing/making refreshments etc - my first assistant has just become part of the Saks A Team, Very proud of him! About 7 years ago the assistants got £15 a day but most teenagers won't get out of bed for less than £20 now! Lol xx

thanks for the replies everyone, we'd thought about a college student but then wouldnt we have to pay them minimum wage for the 8 hour day, working out at around £50?. We really need somebody to answer phones, washup, clean, shampoo etc.

It would be closer to £30 if they were under 18 xoxo

It would be closer to £30 if they were under 18 xoxo

I'm just basing it on what the Junior we have at the moment is paid, she works a 38 hour week and recieves £110 (believe this is slightly more than average as she has almost completed level 2) so this works out at about £2.90 an hour so for an 8 hour day youre looking at £23.20 i think

my friend gets 25 a day which i think it worth getting out of bed and put a pster up on your window hold interviews x

I think it depends on how advanced your junior is , If they are at a good level and could carry a light column then might be a good idea ! would be very good for existing junior aswell. the problem is getting a Saturday girl that has manners and knows how to conduct themselves properly , Sounds easy right ? We have got through loads at my salons ! Good luck !

I think it depends on how advanced your junior is , If they are at a good level and could carry a light column then might be a good idea ! would be very good for existing junior aswell. the problem is getting a Saturday girl that has manners and knows how to conduct themselves properly , Sounds easy right ? We have got through loads at my salons ! Good luck !

why didnt it work out for you?

why didnt it work out for you?

Sorry just read my MSG back and it is confusing :-|

It did work out for us in the end but was just trying to say the experience was time consuming and not easy finding the right person for the job ! all good now tho !

thanks for the help everyone, just to let you all know, we've got a girl coming in for a trial this saturday to see how things go.

National minimum wage rates are as follows.

£6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
£2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Latest posts

Back