Wax course or not? Tricky situation with self employed staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek20

Reaction score
I am in a tricky situation. We have had a girl renting a room at our salon for about 8 months now doing the hd brow look and waxing only. she had a baby last year and has recently been doing 3 days a weeks only. The only problem is she can rarely do appointments when we ask or she just comes to the salon for the odd hour to do a few brow waxes.
I now have customers asking me if they can have appointments on saturday, only to find out she isn't here saturday but is next in the end of Feb. It just doesn't make our salon look good. She also does mobile as well for some of her regular clients that she had before the salon, however she keeps asking for customers to contact her direct and then she keeps saying that has a lot of mobiles, so I think she is taking our clients too. I don't know what to say because it is her own business :/

I don't want to be mean because this is her first child and I appreciate it can be hard, but at the same time I can't have someone just able to do the odd appointments.

I am debating doing a wax and brow course myself, but she has a really good name around our area for doing brilliant brows and clients always say how much they love how she does them. I don't know if I am going to be able to compete??

I currently do the nails and spray tanning in the salon. Are brows relatively easy to pick up for a complete beginner?

Lots of people offer brows but only a few are brilliant.
If someone can wax your eyebrows beautifully they can probably wax everywhere else to a good standard.
Waxing looks easy ... It is not easy to be a great waxer.

Do you think you would still be interested in training if the therapist was working at the salon full time?
If so, go ahead and book a course.

Otherwise, renegotiate your arrangement and see if you can offer the room to someone else for the other 3 days that she doesn't want to come in.

Latest posts

Back