Opinions please: Will toning with 3% lift my roots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanize

Reaction score
Hello hair enthusiasts,

I'm in the middle of an ongoing debate with my housemate (also hairdresser), I posted regarding this about a year ago. Basically I highlight my hair (natural colour 5). I have always used an ash toner and mostly now use Clynol Tone Shot in Kristal with 3%. Its always been ok until my housemate decided that I should use less than 3% i.e. a colour releaser or 1% instead as she thought that the 3% was slightly lifting/warming my natural colour at the roots. I have never heard of this being a problem when people tone their highlights...but what do you think??? Opinions much appreciated.
Cheers
Shanize

Hello hair enthusiasts,

I'm in the middle of an ongoing debate with my housemate (also hairdresser), I posted regarding this about a year ago. Basically I highlight my hair (natural colour 5). I have always used an ash toner and mostly now use Clynol Tone Shot in Kristal with 3%. Its always been ok until my housemate decided that I should use less than 3% i.e. a colour releaser or 1% instead as she thought that the 3% was slightly lifting/warming my natural colour at the roots. I have never heard of this being a problem when people tone their highlights...but what do you think??? Opinions much appreciated.
Cheers
Shanize

3% deposit only, 6% 1 level lift or for greys, so no a 3 will not lift really or atleast not enough to be called a level lift (maybe a quater of a level,
And then you would have to be capable of recording the difference exactly to prove it) xoxo

You'll get one level of lift with 10vol

I use 1.5% with clynol tone shot on my hair x

3% deposit only, 6% 1 level lift or for greys, so no a 3 will not lift really or atleast not enough to be called a level lift (maybe a quater of a level,
And then you would have to be capable of recording the difference exactly to prove it) xoxo

5hen i learn i was taught 10 is 1 left 20 is 2 etc etc, Buuuut matrix was 10 same level or lower 20 1 lift 30 2 etc and Joico is the same Buuuut 10 does give slight lift though :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

They changed matrix, so that for every 10vol you get 1 level of lift

They changed matrix, so that for every 10vol you get 1 level of lift

Then surely they should not have 1N and darker shades in their socolor range as darker can use sync instead then?

It's for darkening, staying same and 1level x

It's for darkening, staying same and 1level x

This poses the question, how can 1 product darken and lift at the sane time? How does it know if the product its being used with is darker than the hair its on or lighter? Im not nitpicking but thinking about it, it can't do both lol

In answer to above question call the manufacturer or your colour rep as some 10s lift some same and lower only :)

This poses the question, how can 1 product darken and lift at the sane time? How does it know if the product its being used with is darker than the hair its on or lighter? Im not nitpicking but thinking about it, it can't do both lol

In answer to above question call the manufacturer or your colour rep as some 10s lift some same and lower only :)

Yeah this was my issue x

Yes 10 vol can lift natural base when used as a toner

Latest posts

Back