Opportunity to move my salon to a home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjustpamper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my beauty salon now for 3 years and fortunately it has been a raging success. I work on my own which I think is why it appeals to so many as they quite like the idea of getting the same therapist every time and like the personal touch. In my contract I can opt out at 3 years as I put in place a break clause where in the third year giving my landlord 6 months notice I can come away from the contract. My salon is not huge I would say about the size of a double garage. It has one room for body treatments and waxing, one room for tanning and the reception area in which I do nails and feet too.

I had no intention of coming away from the salon just yet until I got talking to a couple of my ladies who are business owners also. We were discussing rent and they have said for the area he does seem to of priced fairly high. I can meet the payments no problem but then this got me thinking....

Then sadly December 2013 my mother in law passed away fairly quickly and my poor father in law is so distressed and lonely. He has approached me and asked if I would consider moving my salon to their house. (They have a pretty big house). He said he won't disturb me with it and let me crack on but he just wants to know there are other people around...

I know his head is everywhere right now so I haven't said too much about it but every time he sees me he asks if I have thought about it. The area he is willing for me to have has its own separate entrance, it is the study (which is never used) and utility area. He said he would be happy to just agree a rate and we can do a contract between ourselves as I am concerned I don't want our relationship to get effected.

I am thinking the money side I would save as I won't be paying a separately electricity bill, also the rent will be lower. But I am concerned as I don't know whether the value of his property gets effected because it's used for business purposes or what we'd have to consider there?

I suppose I am asking what would you guys do if it were you? Pros and cons? Also what would we have it consider? I don't want him to come out of it worse off.

Xx

Oh also... My biggest concern is will my ladies change from a salon to a home salon? I don't know why (maybe because I've never done it) I don't want them to think it's going to be any less professional if that makes sense? Xx

Firstly sorry to hear of your loss and can understand how your father in law feels at the moment.

From a professional stand point there are many pro's and con's of both. You touched on some.

Lower rent, cheaper bills, landlord bit over priced etc.

However - you WILL most likely lose a lot of clients you currently have as they won't want to go to a home salon. Now I don't want ANYONE to take this the wrong way and I understand why people do it but in my eyes a home salon is slightly less professional then a shop. I have seen some lovely, lovely, lovely rooms on here that people have and succeed with so I dare say it does work but I think it's a step backwards when for most people it's a starting point and the added flexibility of around the family etc.

People will follow the therapist to the point but a shop does have a different feel to a home. Some homes feel nicer than some shops and vice versa.

If it was me I would probably look around and see if anything good is on the market and for what price then say to landlord there are bigger places for the same rent your paying now and want to negotiate a better rate or you may have to consider moving. If you have been a good tenant (i'm sure you have) you may have some wiggle room.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advice. It's just so difficult. I have had the loyalty of my clients for 3 years now with the salon and some even before that time so I would like to think that they wouldn't mind. The salon isn't huge and only me there so I would hope there wouldn't be too much of a contrast with doing a home salon. I just want to wind down a little and not have so much responsibility with the salon but then I feel what's two more years and I would have ended the contract anyway?

Oh it's so hard. We have taken on our first home and we have a two year old and we would like more children I suppose I am just looking at the finance side of it all rather then what the clients may want?

I dunno my head is such a mess with it all :(

Thanks for the advice. It's just so difficult. I have had the loyalty of my clients for 3 years now with the salon and some even before that time so I would like to think that they wouldn't mind. The salon isn't huge and only me there so I would hope there wouldn't be too much of a contrast with doing a home salon. I just want to wind down a little and not have so much responsibility with the salon but then I feel what's two more years and I would have ended the contract anyway?

Oh it's so hard. We have taken on our first home and we have a two year old and we would like more children I suppose I am just looking at the finance side of it all rather then what the clients may want?

I dunno my head is such a mess with it all :(

An extra 2 years isn't that long really. I understand it's a tough choice all round.

IF it was me. You have just taken on a new home (mortgage im guessing), you have a two year old and you want more children, from a financial point of view having the salon surely, to a degree, is fairly steady income? I always see ANY kind of move in premises as starting again near enough. If some do follow it's just a bonus.

I think if you moved you may cut your nose to spite your face and be worse off financially even if you lose all overheads.

Also you have to think when a salon closes word gets around. Bad publicity spreads faster than good. People don't think you have moved to a home salon, they presume you have gone bust.

Only you will know what feels right. I worked in salons for years then was let go so had to do mobile and home salon for 4 months until the salon opened..

There are a lot of pros to home.

But I think a lot more cons....
You feel like you arent actually going to work.
Its hard to say no when your in the home.
Your father in law might not be fussed just now, but what happens when people are turning up constantly amd using the parking space s etc.
Its a very different feel when you do it at home . Some clients like going to a salon to get away from a home environment.

As I say only you know the right thing to do, I feel a lot happier in a salon than I ever did mobile/home. Xx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im in the same predicament, break clause coming up next month and not sure what to do. Overheads to the salon are high and I too work alone. A lot of clients would follow me, however some simply like the convenience of having somewhere to come in their village......I spoke to an business sales agent yesterday and they suggested keeping going and then trying to sell it in the future, at least that way you will make financial gain and not walk away with nothing. Clients who want to follow you will regardless of whether you are relocating or selling the business in order to work from home so why not come away with some money? After all you have worked your socks off to get to where you are! Its a difficult one, I completely understand what you are going through.

Latest posts

Back