Over 19 apprenticeships, college days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just after a bit of advice from anyone who has an over 19 apprentice. I'm starting my level 3 but it's my first apprenticeship year so I know I will only get paid 2.68ish per hour. My question is college days, I thought the employer paid a wage for these days as well, my employer wants me to take that college day as my day off so that I'm working 6 days. :/ is this right? Google wasn't very helpful.

I know someone who did it in hairdressing the same why she went to college on monday worked the rest of the week

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

As in Tuesday to Saturday? Or only the 4 days.

You are supposed to have a day in lieu when you are in college ie if college falls on your day off then you have another day off in the week so on college weeks you would be paid a full week but only 4 days in salon and 1 day in college .
That's how it works on apprenticeships anyway .

You should be paid for college day, of you work 5 extra days then that's what they want and many people work 6 days, but they have to pay your for the day in college so you will get paid for 6 days.

Jemima :)

See they want to pay me for 5 days and go to college unpaid on my day off. So for example work Monday to Thursday paid then go to college Friday unpaid then work Saturday. Apparently they have to pay the under 19s for the college day but not over 19s.

I had an apprentice who was 21 and had to pay her college days ...

Maybe get proof from your college.

Jemima :)

I'll have to double check when I get my contract. The current level 3 in the salon I'm going into never had her training days paid because the college advisor told her she was over 19 so they didn't have to.

I thought if you was over 19 and an apprentice you have to be paid NMW?

Are you even an apprentice when you're doing level 3? Technically, you're qualified and I was of the understanding doing L3 was further education, rather than an apprenticeship. I would ask your college if you can be paid apprentices wage or if your salon should be paying you at least NMW.

It's my first year as an apprentice so I will only get apprentice wage. I will be double checking the rules regarding time off and college days though because I don't think having to use your day off is fair.

Latest posts

Back