Over the counter skincare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandydee

Reaction score
Hi Geeks. I am sure many of you will feel the same on this topic.
No matter how much I explain to clients the difference between professional skincare products & over the counter products I still get several clients that think they know better.
It ususally comes down to price (special offers or gaining storecard 'points'), convenience (..I picked it up when grocery shopping.. using wipes is much quicker..) or the fabulous advertising on the tv, glossy magazines etc.
Do any skincare Geeks want to share advice/ideas on how to promote the professional skincare you use in the salon? :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
A few suggestions.
Clients often talk or ask about skin care if they have specific concerns, so the first thing I do is ask what they use and what their concerns are.
You have to know what makes your range different. Why is it better than high street? Can you explain it easily? Is it in fact different because a lot of the time, what we use in salon isn't a lot different to high street! If you struggle with this,ask your skin care supplier for help.

All my clients, without exception, have stopped using wipes when I explain the following:
If you take a flannel, wet it and put it in a sealed bag, it would start to smell and grow bacteria. Wipes are like a wet flannel, so now you have to think of the sh*t (feel free to insert your own word here)they are loaded with to stop them smelling and growing bacteria. All that sh*t is going on your skin. If you're in a desperate hurry, use a cleanser and an extremely clean flannel.

I also explain that they get my personal service. They get one to one skincare solutions and if they're not happy with our products I offer a refund.
Ultimately if they want to shop in boots then go for it but I've told mine to stop moaning about their skin then not take my advice. I also talk about some of the great results we've had.

Today I had a lady having her nails done. She'd been asking about the skincare and we'd been having a chat - I never retail, I inform. Another client popped in for a few bits and spent over £150 on products. It really helps those who are sitting on the fence to see others buying the range!
We also offer a completely free half hour consultation slot. This can be for skin care or make up. Clients who book this for skin, get a full rundown. We do a complete consultation and ask them to bring everything they put on their skin, including make up. We can often retail a lot of skincare and make up on the back of this.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I appreciate you were asking about skincare products but I think it applies equally to all hair and beauty products sold on the high street.

Clients can purchase hair care products by Wella, Loreal etc. from their local supermarket so why would they buy from the salon?

As Squidgernetball says, it's important that you know how your products work, why the pro versions of the products are better in terms of what they will do for the hair, their ingredients, value for money in terms of amount of product needed etc.

Most important of all, you use the product on the hair and show the client how they can replicate the effect at home themselves. Teach them basic blow drying/curling/straightening skills etc.

So they aren't just buying the product but they're getting your expertise and advice tailored just for them.

It's supermarket Value products against their Finest products. Some people will only ever buy the Value ones, and you can't get them to change. Others once they understand the difference and what they are getting offers much better value for money and why will buy the Finest.

Don't waste energy on those who only want the cheapest Value products, they are only motivated by price.

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.
Vic, I love the wipes explaination & must try that one! :D
I do explain what the professional products offer that high street products don't. I also get many clients purchase my product range just on the fact that they ask what I use...no brainer really..if you don't use the products yourself how can you sell them.
Price makes a huge deciding factor but I also explain that some products may appear 'cheaper' but will only last half as long - you get what you pay for. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

My advice - don't sell your "products" nobody likes to be sold to.

Sell them features. Tell them what their skin needs, benefits of the ingredients etc and then show them what your range contains that would work for them. If they decide to go elsewhere that's fine, let them but in the back of their head they will KNOW what you have is good for them and they wont feel like you are a pushy seller x

My advice - don't sell your "products" nobody likes to be sold to.

Sell them features. Tell them what their skin needs, benefits of the ingredients etc and then show them what your range contains that would work for them. If they decide to go elsewhere that's fine, let them but in the back of their head they will KNOW what you have is good for them and they wont feel like you are a pushy seller x

I agree. I don't think your client needs to know the mechanics of the products you use, but they need to know if it will make a difference to their skin!

Having the knowledge to understand what can cause and aggravate many skin conditions is a great thing!

I love it when clients call up to ask about our skincare and then say "Oh but I have a condition called ro say sha" like I'm never going to have heard of it.

We all like to be a bit special!!!

Vic x

Latest posts

Back