Over time hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaiffer

Reaction score
Interested to hear how other salon owners pay there staff for overtime.

Currently we pay our staff monthly for there anticipated contracted work hours and then they record there additional hours to this each month which we pay them for on top.

My concern with this practise is 1 - there is no incentive for staff to finish on time, so they end up staying doing jobs that aren't perhaps a necessity and could be addressed the next morning. 2 - if one member of staff remains working with a client there is a tendency for other staff members to stay on till that one member of staff is finished as they feel obliged/bad not staying.

Can anyone suggest any alternative methods that might help cut what I feel is a slightly uneccessary overtime bill.

The staff are in charge of how many overtime hours they do? If so then that's the problem, they need to agree overtime with you before they do it.

The flip side of it is we don't want to miss out on customers because staff 'have to finish at a certain time'

Difficult to know what to do for the best.

Well not really, if clients know they can walk in for a late appointment then they will. Might be better to permanently extend your hours for one or two days a week.

employees shouldn't be left on their own regardless. There are laws regarding that. As said I always check their time sheets and if they have finished their clients at 6 but they don't leave until 8 then I'm not paying them for that 2 hours because there is no written reason for them to stay back this is what I warned each of my therapists before they started, none of them take the mick. I give them a 30 minute leeway. They don't dictate over time you do, if their normal shift is 10-5 and someone wants to book in at 6 but they have no one in until 12 they start an hour later at 11 so they stick to contracted hours as much as possible.
Xx

Latest posts

Back