Panicking, need opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarLouise

Reaction score
Hi everyone at about 4 am this morning I was reversing out of a car park, it was very dark and I backed into a car and left a dent. I didn't know what to do I just drove off. I've been getting myself worked up reading things on Google about losing your licence if you don't report it, I only passed my test last month I'm just really worried ill get caught. Considering going to the police this morning to report I think it would put my mind at ease. Can anyone please tell me if it's the right thing to do or just leave it? Thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh dear. If the car is still there maybe leave a note with your phone number?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh dear. If the car is still there maybe leave a note with your phone number?

Really do you think that would make a difference? What if I do get there and the car is gone? 😩 I'm feeling really sick and guilty

The right thing to have done would be to have left your name and phone number in a note on the windscreen really. I can understand why you left though, it is frightening to hit something.
If you feel that bad about it then reporting it to the police is the right way to go about it, just explain it was dark, you were alone, you panicked and couldn't tell if there was damage but decided to report it anyway. Lots of people would just leave it and hope to get away with it, it's happened to me in a car park, in broad daylight. the damage wasn't that bad and the dent is still in my bumper but I'm not particularly bothered and didn't report it so whoever hit me has got away with it.
Don't be too upset, you won't lose your licence as no one was hurt but your insurance premiums may go up next year if the other car owner makes a claim against you. This is why we have insurance. I hope you are ok. You might feel a bit crap at the moment (I did when I had my first and only prang) but it will make you more aware on the road, nobody was hurt so try not to panic. Hugs to you x

Yeah of course because they can then sort it out through insurance... or you could offer to pay the repair yourself? That way they wont claim then your premium wont go up? But ifnits not there report it

The right thing to have done would be to have left your name and phone number in a note on the windscreen really. I can understand why you left though, it is frightening to hit something.
If you feel that bad about it then reporting it to the police is the right way to go about it, just explain it was dark, you were alone, you panicked and couldn't tell if there was damage but decided to report it anyway. Lots of people would just leave it and hope to get away with it, it's happened to me in a car park, in broad daylight. the damage wasn't that bad and the dent is still in my bumper but I'm not particularly bothered and didn't report it so whoever hit me has got away with it.
Don't be too upset, you won't lose your licence as no one was hurt but your insurance premiums may go up next year if the other car owner makes a claim against you. This is why we have insurance. I hope you are ok. You might feel a bit crap at the moment (I did when I had my first and only prang) but it will make you more aware on the road, nobody was hurt so try not to panic. Hugs to you x

I think if I don't I won't stop worrying. My doorbell just rang and I thought it was going to be police I'm driving myself mad. Thank you x

Yeah of course because they can then sort it out through insurance... or you could offer to pay the repair yourself? That way they wont claim then your premium wont go up? But ifnits not there report it

I wouldn't mind paying the repair myself only thing I'm only a part time worker I would have to pay in installments probably. Thank you for your reply x

Hun calm down...I know how u feel because I get myself Into these silly panics...you could contact the car park and send if there is any CCTV? Maybe see if they could get car reg? But I think the best thing to do is go to the police and explain your anxiety..I am sure absolutely nothing will come it but it will give you piece of mind and then if it did get reported you have nothing to worry about.....don't worry Hun I am sure it will be fine xxxx

I wouldn't say anything! I'd go back to the car park see if there's CCTV & if there's not don't worry about it! People bump cars & clear off all the time! I can understand your panicking but that feeling will go soon, I bumped a car the other day in a car park, I got out to check if there was a dent but luckily there wasn't, there were loads of onlookers too, I did panic and think should I leave a note but I diddnt bother, I stopped thinking about it after a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say anything! I'd go back to the car park see if there's CCTV & if there's not don't worry about it! People bump cars & clear off all the time! I can understand your panicking but that feeling will go soon, I bumped a car the other day in a car park, I got out to check if there was a dent but luckily there wasn't, there were loads of onlookers too, I did panic and think should I leave a note but I diddnt bother, I stopped thinking about it after a few days

I do agree with what your saying but I also know how she feels about worrying so I think she should do what ever will give her piece of mind

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes unfortunately there is cctv I checked online with my local council. The car park is behind a busy strip of bars and clubs so they will always be watching for fights and drunk people etc.

Stop worrying,stop talking about it on here,go to the police explain,get it logged,forget about and get on with the rest of your day!!

Just been to the police. The car wasn't there so I've just done my report. Feel better now thanks everyone for your advice x

Good on you for doing the right thing!!!Now forget all about and have a great wkend !!! Xxxx

well done. I think you've done the right thing.

Someone drove into my husbands car while it was parked. We're not sure where it happened as the damage wasn't obvious in the dark.

It looked like the bumper had just popped out a bit so I suggested just taking it to a garage to see what they said.....£1500 repair quote :| so he had to go through his insurance.

I think it could have even been one of my clients..reversing of the drive! but nobody said anything.

So you have definitely done the right thing.

well done. I think you've done the right thing.

Someone drove into my husbands car while it was parked. We're not sure where it happened as the damage wasn't obvious in the dark.

It looked like the bumper had just popped out a bit so I suggested just taking it to a garage to see what they said.....£1500 repair quote :| so he had to go through his insurance.

I think it could have even been one of my clients..reversing of the drive! but nobody said anything.

So you have definitely done the right thing.

Someone did the same to me but thankfully he stopped and left his details... £1,600 in a garage bill and £500 for a hire car. Glad its being claimed back, in the mean time my insurance has gone sky high and ive 1 less year for my no claims for my renewal... Even though its not my fault.

Once the money is claimed back I get my extra year, and the higher fee refunded. Although Il still have to declare it for the next 3 years!

It would be a major pain if he hadn't admitted fault.

Well done on doing the right thing!

Xx

Someone did this to mum and dads car while it was in a car park they damaged the door and destroyed some if the mechanics inside (don't know what I know nothing about cars) so the mechanic said it had to be written off for some reason (cheaper maybe??). Whoever did this left no details and unfortunately mum and dad do t have a lot of spare cash so they had to dip into the money they had been saving! I think you did the right thing so well done you ! It's great to hear that there are so many honest people xxx

Well done, most people aren't as honest as you are. I had a car once that must have been cursed. I had it for 10 months and in that time it was scraped/dented on 9 separate occasions. The bloody thing was immaculate when I bought it too :(

I agree, well done for doing the right thing. :) Glad there are some honest people still around.

My car got hit by someone in a supermarket carpark. It was the day I picked it up from the garage, it was brand new, and I'd saved up for 2 years to buy the car! I was devastated!

Thanks everyone. Nice hearing your own experiences and how awful it is to have a damaged car and people not be honest about it. Haven't heard anything from the driver. X

Latest posts

Back