Pantene and TRESemmé?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading that Pantene and TRESemmé are bad for the hair but I don't understand how, please can anyone explain? Thanks.

Last edited:
Because it coats the hair strands in a heavy amounts of silicone (like a plastic). They do this because it's cheap and makes the hair appear soft and shiny, hence there 'hair feels healthier after just one wash' claims
but it's not actually moisturising or repairing the actual hair at all it's just creating a barrier.

I used to just Pantene when I was like 14 and when I had my first set of highlights done my hairdresser knew straight away I was using Pantene or something Similar because of the massive build up on my hair

So yeah avoid :)

I'm not convinced it is bad. Silicone is a standard ingredient used in formulas across the industry.
Many supermarket and salon brands are owned by the same company anyway, for example, Procter & Gamble own Pantene, Wella and Sebastian Professional. L'Oréal owns Elvive, Pureology, Matrix, Redken, and Kérastase. Unilever owns TRESemmé and TIGI.
Also, hair cannot be repaired, it is a dead substance. Any ingredient(s) that improves the appearance and/or feel of the hair is purely cosmetic and temporary. Most products coat the hair, that's how they work.

I'll just leave these here:

The Beauty Brains - Is Pantene good or bad for my hair?

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/07/is-pantene-good-or-bad-for-my-hair/

The Beauty Brains - Is Pantene putting plastic on your hair?

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/is-pantene-putting-plastic-on-your-hair/

The Beauty Brains - Pantene is bad for hair myths busted.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/01/pantene-is-bad-for-hair-myth-busted/

The Beauty Brains - If Pantene is so good then why isn't it sold in salon? Episode 108

http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/11/if-pantene-is-so-good-why-isnt-it-sold-in-salons-episode-108/

Also, hair cannot be repaired, it is a dead substance. Any ingredient(s) that improves the appearance and/or feel of the hair is purely cosmetic and temporary. Most products coat the hair, that's how they work.

Not true! Olaplex is the only patented product that repairs broken disulphide bonds within the hair.

For a similar sort of analogy, planks of wood are 'dead' trees but they can be repaired and refilled.

Just because an internationally massive company owns the brand doesn't mean they are all manufactured in an identical way. That would be like saying that Tesco finest food range is identical in ingredients and flavour to the Tesco basics range because they're made by Tesco...

Also, did you read any of the links you posted?
I looked at a couple and on the first link I found this interesting post...

Kristen Wilson July 24, 2015, 6:17 pm
I am a Master Cosmetologist and I have a degree in Applied Science as well and Its not about Pantene and Matrix/Redken/BlahBlahBlah ingredients being the same, Its the fact that Pantene uses cheaper, less pure ingredients hence the cheaper price. Also, people may love the way their hair feels with Pantene, BUT they are using harsher chemicals to get that nice soft feeling. You can have horrible damage happening to your hair but use a chemical that makes it feel soft and shiny....Maybe you should know more about stuff before answering questions, instead of giving people inaccurate information. Just stating a fact.

Not all contains silicone

Did you put that on just to start a debate?
Why ask if, in your opinion, you've already researched it enough to decide its good stuff...?

I struggle with the whole silicone thing.

Some are water soluble, are they ok silicones? Are there any ok silicones?

Anyone have any idea what names of silicones are? What ingredients to avoid?

I know cyclo' are bad and dimethiconol is bad too.

Also, did you read any of the links you posted?
I looked at a couple and on the first link I found this interesting post...

Kristen Wilson July 24, 2015, 6:17 pm
I am a Master Cosmetologist and I have a degree in Applied Science as well and Its not about Pantene and Matrix/Redken/BlahBlahBlah ingredients being the same, Its the fact that Pantene uses cheaper, less pure ingredients hence the cheaper price.
Not true! Olaplex is the only patented product that repairs broken disulphide bonds within the hair.

For a similar sort of analogy, planks of wood are 'dead' trees but they can be repaired and refilled.

Just because an internationally massive company owns the brand doesn't mean they are all manufactured in an identical way. That would be like saying that Tesco finest food range is identical in ingredients and flavour to the Tesco basics range because they're made by Tesco...

Hi, I stand corrected... I was definitely wrong...I actually forgot about Olaplex! please accept my apologies for that.

What I meant by repairing is still true to some extent, supermarket and salon professional products (Olaplex aside) only provide a temporary, cosmetic affect. Hence needing to reapply the products each time.

The quote you posted from the Master Cosmetologist is interesting but not entirely accurate. Randy Schueller the Cosmetic Chemist who co owns The Beauty Brains has explained that formulators use the same grade of ingredients in mass produced and salon products. Take a look at the ingredient list of a Pantene conditioner and you will read some of the exact same ingredients used in a Wella conditioner for example. Perhaps Pantene does use the heavy silicones but so do some salon products, which doesn't make either product bad or one better than the other. Potential build up can occur from low and high end products, it's all dependent on the individual formula and the hair type it's used on.

I'm sorry if I have aggravated anyone, I just get annoyed by the "expensive means better" mentality that a lot of hair stylists have which is usually based on misinformation.

I find this quote interesting:

I have been a licensed stylist for almost 30 years and here is something to ponder. The days of product lines being owned by many, many companies has long passed. There are very few dogs in the hunt now--a couple of companies own everything! Also...............many of the products come out of the same factory--just with different labels. I am a firm believer that shampoos are more alike than they are different. When you start to peel away all of the fluff and look at them from a chemical basis--they are sooooo similar in makeup. Why listen to me? I too am an educator for a multinational hair company--and the realtity is that some of what the stylists at the salon say is not true. Are they purposely lying to you? No! Honestly most of them don't really know--they believe what the sales rep or another stylist tells them and they just go from there. As far as Pantene goes--yes it is full of silicone--and silicone is a form of plastic and yes it coats the hair--but is it harmful---probably not. I suggest that all of my clients use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month--twice a month if you are a heavy product user--especially pastes and other waxing substances. These shampoos are more harsh and strip the old products out of the hair. Okay---now as to hair repairing itself. It is correct that the hair is only alive at the root or bulb and the hair on the outside is dead so to speak. The only corrections you can make with the hair shaft deals with the outer cuticle layer. The cuticle is much like scales on a fish. Some people have a much more smooth layer than others. The cuticle is what we "open" up the chemicals when we deposit color. The cuticle opens, the color deposits and then we have to lay the cuticle back down or close it. If you get your hair colored in the salon and feel you hair right after the shampoo and before the conditioner or sealer, it may feel coarse. That is because the scales are still standing up and make the hair shaft feel rough. Bottom line---use the shampoo that works--but clarify!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Healt...Pantene-really-bad-for-your-hair/td-p/1872272

I've probably made myself unpopular on this site already...

Not at all. You're amongst friends and we love a good old debate here. :)

Also, I think with ingredient lists, you don't actually know the provenance or ratios of the ingredients. So, going back to my (Tesco) food analogy earlier, you can buy a product made from cheap commercially grown tomatoes from the supermarket but if you grow your own tomatoes you soon realise what a difference in taste each variety offers. Some will be fairly bland and other will be superbly flavoursome.
(I say this as I'm currently experimenting by growing 40+ tomato plants in my Polytunnel at the moment.)

Latest posts

Back