Patch test fell off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Id111

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve recently had a patch test for eyelash extensions. The glue was placed behind my ear however within 2 hours the glue had fallen off and there was nothing left! I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask but Im not sure whether it’s a problem or not? I asked the lady and she said it is fine as long as I hadn’t had a reaction - which I hadn’t. Could someone give me a second option please x

I’d ask her to re-do it as normally you have to allow up to 48 hours to see if there’s any reaction. Not everyone has an instant reaction and sometimes it does take several hours for it to become obvious. Also, if the glue drops off your skin after 2 hours, how does she expect the lashes to stick?

I’d ask her to re-do it as normally you have to allow up to 48 hours to see if there’s any reaction. Not everyone has an instant reaction and sometimes it does take several hours for it to become obvious. Also, if the glue drops off your skin after 2 hours, how does she expect the lashes to stick?

Thank you for replying. The thing is I’m away at the moment, and my appointment is for a special occasion the day after I’m home, and so don’t have time for a second patch test. I also think that the glue fell off due to being too thick and just crumbling off. Multiple people have told me it’s okay - but I’m just really scared. Would you take the chance? I don’t have sensitive eyes and I’ve never been allergic to anything before. When I had the patch test there was no itching or redness, and it was still fine after the glue fell off. Maybe I’m overthinking?

I am sensitive to some lash glues and other products so I’d always err on the side of caution, especially if it’s for a one-off occasion as you don’t want sore red eyes in any photographs.
However, if you feel confident that there was no reaction and you don’t normally react, then you could give them a go.

I am sensitive to some lash glues and other products so I’d always err on the side of caution, especially if it’s for a one-off occasion as you don’t want sore red eyes in any photographs.
However, if you feel confident that there was no reaction and you don’t normally react, then you could give them a go.
True, part of me knows it’s not right but the other half thinks that if she’s told me it’s fine then it must be?!

Have you had extensions before (any brand)? And did you react then?

I've just trained in Lash Extensions - so I hope no one shoots me down if I'm wrong..
BUT I'm pretty sure your patch test should have consisted of a few lashes put onto each eye, lash glue is not intended to come in contact with the skin so I'm not sure why she would have put it behind your ear. I also believe that depending on what brand she is using - patch tests aren't always required anymore.. they are not always accurate at detecting a reaction and it's more common for someone who's been wearing them for a few months to experience a reaction then someone who's having them done for the first time.

If you're unsure just speak to her, but I'm sure she knows what she's doing :)

I've just trained in Lash Extensions - so I hope no one shoots me down if I'm wrong..
BUT I'm pretty sure your patch test should have consisted of a few lashes put onto each eye, lash glue is not intended to come in contact with the skin so I'm not sure why she would have put it behind your ear. I also believe that depending on what brand she is using - patch tests aren't always required anymore.. they are not always accurate at detecting a reaction and it's more common for someone who's been wearing them for a few months to experience a reaction then someone who's having them done for the first time.

If you're unsure just speak to her, but I'm sure she knows what she's doing :)

Thank you so much, this was really helpful. I’ve been doing some research and I may be wrong but I think there is a bit of confusion around patch tests, some do it behind the ear and some on the lashes. The lady has now told me she will be using a stronger glue so if I want to go in for a patch test for that glue I’m more than welcome to. However my appointment is the day after I’m home from holiday - so it’s impossible for me to get a patch test done with the new glue. What would you recommend? Should I just leave it?

Thank you so much, this was really helpful. I’ve been doing some research and I may be wrong but I think there is a bit of confusion around patch tests, some do it behind the ear and some on the lashes. The lady has now told me she will be using a stronger glue so if I want to go in for a patch test for that glue I’m more than welcome to. However my appointment is the day after I’m home from holiday - so it’s impossible for me to get a patch test done with the new glue. What would you recommend? Should I just leave it?

I really wish I could be more help to you but I'm new to lashes myself ...if this was an experience of mine I would contact the lady who trained me for a 2nd opinion. But if it was me going for the extensions I would probably just give it go! Aslong as you didn't have a reaction to the glue I think it will be fine.
It could be that she applied too much glue or maybe its just because it was on the skin that it crumbled and fell off, as its never intended to touch the skin :)

Only you can make the decision, if the lady has experience in lashes I'm sure she's doing it right! :)

Exactly what I’m thinking! My problem however is not that I’m scared the lashes will fall off, rather that I may be allergic. In your experience, of a client said that their patch test had fallen off, would you say that it’s fije and they’re not allergic x

I’d be concerned it fell off and was advised it would be fine but also that I hadnt been patch tested for the actual glue that was being used.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back