Patch test for colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corkrose

Reaction score
I recently decided to change hair salon as the one I usually attended has changed hands and has become like a converyor belt kind of cuts, service. Anyway got a great cut in a new salon today.

As I was leaving I asked about getting a patch test for colour for my next visit. This was applied by the Junior behind my ear. She told me to leave it for 15mins and then wash off. This surprised me as when I had patch tests before I was told to leave it on for 24 hours before washing it off.

I am not sure whether to wash it off now or to leave it till tomorrow.

To be honest I got the feeling that a patch test was normally not requested/carried out there and it is putting me off getting colour there.

Could someone advise me please?

Last edited:
Hi.
I can tell you our salon procedure for patch testing,but i cant say what is deemed the legal requirememnts.

We are rigid with patch testing for obvious reasons so this is how we do it.

The client comes and we put the colour on their body and cover.
They fill out a patch test form which includes the batch number and colour used.
It stays on for 24 hours so we get an accurate result.
They normally book for their colour still,but if they react they call us and let us know.

We had a new client for a patch test and it took untill 12 hours after the colour was put on before her skin started to irritate,but bot did it get sore open and weeping.

I would leave it on for your own piece of mind,but if theyre that evasive about the patch test i would be reconsidering whether to get my colour done there at all.
x

Thanks for the reply. I have left it on and haven't had a problem but to be honest was a bit shocked at their response to a new client asking for a patch test.

The cut I got is stunning. I honestly have never had a good as hair cut but may go elsewhere for my colour.

If your cut is amazing, Id probably give the colour a go. A colour you can rectify if you dont like it. Perhaps the junior was new and had not really patch tested before?
Leave it on for 24 hours though
xxx

Latest posts

Back