Patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjpowell1982

Reaction score
Hiya I have recently qualified in offering waxing and tinting eyebrows. I have had a lot of enquiries from potential clients but they are put off by the patch test.

How do U get around this? I know a salon in my area just patch test whilst u r there and says if u r allergic it will show within 20mins?!

No...24 hours min.... Collected or posted out, then a disclaimer should be signed to say they have carried out the test, always.

There should be no way round this, as you will be on your own, you insurance company will just run.

I thought this would be the case. I'd much rather be safe than sorry. My trainer said disclaimers don't count for anything in court and I must patch test my clients myself. It's so difficult as different people say different things :)

No the disclaimer I am talking about is to say they have had a test, via post or other. You have to test, there are many that still don't test, and it has to be done every time.

Ok thank u for ur help :)

No the disclaimer I am talking about is to say they have had a test, via post or other. You have to test, there are many that still don't test, and it has to be done every time.
I have to say that I can see insurance companys having a problem with this method of testing & disclaimer too. All they need is an excuse NOT to cover you & have to pay out.

YOU must patch test your clients, arrange to meet them somewhere local that your both happy with at a time you can both do (in town, a cafe, corner shop, park etc..) all your doing is dabbing a little pre mixed tint behind their ear, it doesn't have to be awkward or put anyone out.

I have also got clients that have other treatments with me to have a patch test so if they decide to book a tint they have already had their tint test.

I always get people say things like o I have it done all the time , I don't normally had to have one but I just always say in sorry but for my insurance reasons I have to do a patch test or I can not do the treatment. Also people don't realise that there is a lot if different products out there and they have nt had a skin test for them all. I printed off forms where the client dates and signs it saying they have had a patch test and when I go to do the treatment they sign to say that the patch test was all okay :) xx

Do you patch test every time or just the first time?

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you patch test every time or just the first time?

This all depends on what YOUR insurance company wants.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow :)

I always patch test. I refuse to do the treatment without. The ones that say 'oh I have it done all the time it'll be fine' I reply with 'I still have to patch test as we may use different products to what you have had before and if it has just one ingredient different it could be that that you are allergic too, and you really don't want a reaction. Especially around the eyes" That normally gets them to my way of thinking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I always patch test and in the 3yrs of running my business I have just had someone react to the test,can't stress enough how important it is :)

I think most insurance companies will say to follow manufacturers instructions. Most tints i have now come across state to to test every single time, it is a pain,but something you have to do.

In training while doing my case studies I had a girl trying to refuse a patch test, I stood my ground & she ended up reacting to the test, it's so important to patch test!
I test on first time clients, all existing clients if I change tints & if an existing client informs me they are expecting

Hiya I have recently qualified in offering waxing and tinting eyebrows. I have had a lot of enquiries from potential clients but they are put off by the patch test.

How do U get around this? I know a salon in my area just patch test whilst u r there and says if u r allergic it will show within 20mins?!

Just explain that you are acting within best practice and that you are looking after their health and safety.

If you do other treatments ask if there is a possibility that they may want tinting in the near future and skin test them, ensure it is on their client record card and they've signed and dated it.

Latest posts

Back