Patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tink15

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone shed some light or advise what they do in the situation of patch testing.

I am a salon owner but I offer just beauty side of treatments, which I'm completely happy with my consultation forms and patch testing of relevant products.

I have two self employed hairdressers that work in my salon and after chatting with them we are all a bit unsure of where they legally stand with psych tests.

They both use their own products and a verity of them so not one brand. I know one of the colour brands have it in small print on their instructions inside that they don't cover dying hair of any one under 16 and also they say to do a test 48 hours before any colour each time.

As I'm sure you know it's not practical to do this, and with living in a village we get a lot of one off holiday clients.

Any advise/suggestions appreciated

It is do-able if (as a hairdresser) you clearly state your patch testing policy and stick to it. I won't colour anyone who hasn't been patch tested by me. As someone who suffers allergies to various products, I'm very aware of the potential for serious harm that can occur. Therefore, I wouldn't want to be the person responsible for causing pain and distress to a client. It's simply not worth the risk in my opinion.

Tinting under 16's is a definite no although it's not actually illegal to do so. (!)

This is because new labelling laws were introduced requiring that all tint products (including box dyes) state that they must not be used on persons under 16 years of age.

So whilst it's not illegal to actually apply the colour, the problem is that insurance companies won't cover you if you go against the manufacturers instructions. (Imagine the awful publicity it would generate if a youngster developed a bad reaction to hair colour and the hairdresser's insurer refused to help?)

Also, in some circumstances, the salon owner could be pursued through the courts by a client (particularly if the individual hairdresser has no tangible assets). So, to limit your liability, you need to ensure that the people working in your salon, work to the highest professional standards and are fully insured.

I don't think that focussing on whether it's practical to patch test is the best approach to take, but that's your call.

Yep totally agree, so for your regulars do you comply and patch test each time they visit? so every 4/6 weeks? I think they will loose a lot of custom by enforcing this but that's why I'm checking what is correct and if it's practised in other salons.

I'm mobile and also work from home so I don't find it difficult to fit in patch testing. All my regular clients are pleased that I insist on testing as they equate it with offering a higher standard of service overall and they're willing to pay a premium for my services. Bargain hunters can go elsewhere!

I patch test for the brands of colour I know I will most likely use on the client as I have lots of different brands. Example; a highlight client gets tested with my whole toner range and my preferred lowlight brand :). If they want to change their hair up they always let me know and I can patch test again for what is needed. I patch test once / twice a year depending on how regular they are, but in all honesty I'm not sure how often the guidelines of patch testing are! Hope that helps

I only did a patch test on clients that have had reactions in the past with hair coloring. Most clients have colored their hair b4 or already have colored hair so I find most people know weather they are sensitive to coloring or not. Always ask new clients about their past experiences with hair coloring services & about any negative effects indicating an allergy. In 20 years I only had 1 lady whom had reactions to ammonia based dyes & we had Farouks CHI ammonia free line. We did a test & She had red itchy skin the next day so we didn't do any coloring with her. Certain meds also effect hair coloring services especially heart meds the elderly commonly take. When I worked in a salon with a higher % of the elderly, we would get them to sign a notice claiming that they would be responsible for providing all information ensuring a chemical service & accepting responsibility's for any adverse effects due to withholding any info that may cause these effects.

I only did a patch test on clients that have had reactions in the past with hair coloring....When I worked in a salon with a higher % of the elderly, we would get them to sign a notice claiming that they would be responsible for providing all information ensuring a chemical service & accepting responsibility's for any adverse effects due to withholding any info that may cause these effects.

I know you can use them in Canada and the States but disclaimers have no legal standing in the EU.
In fact, your case is substantially weakened if you use them, as it's evidence that you knew there was a risk of harm occurring.

Here, hairdresser's need to purchase public liability insurance and one of the standard clauses they include require you to follow manufacturers instructions to be insured. All hair colour products sold in the EU are labelled with instructions regarding patch testing so if you don't follow those instructions and a client sues, you'll not only lose the case but your insurer won't pick up your legal bill. If you own a salon, one serious case could potentially bankrupt you.

Anecdotally, you do hear of more people developing allergies to hair and beauty products than in the past so I think you have to err on the side of caution.

Hi geeks.
I have an issue today. I am employed in a salon and today we had a lady come in wanting colour. She was from out of the area and needed her colour doing. The salon owner was dealing with her and by the time I'd come onto the floor she had already approved her having the colour without having a patch test after speaking with her actual hairdresser on the phone confirming her colour history. I am firmly against doing colour without a patch test but she was already in my chair as the owner doesn't do colour. She then proceeded to tell me what to use and to try and minimise the risk of reaction I used the PDD and ammonia free range not the other range which is more reliable to cover grey that she was telling me to use. I know I should have been strong enough to refuse to do it but I just wasnt and now I'm awake all night worrying. I need to approach the situation and tell her not to put me in that position again and that I'm not prepared to perform colour services without a patch test. She's volatile and everyone tip toes around her but I will not do this anymore. Please if anyone can advise on how to go about this. Xx

Last edited:
I'm still not seeing any solution to this. As the only thing that stands up if anything happens is if manufactured instructions have been followed (patch test 48 hours prior to colour on a 1cm area of the arm, this needs to be un disturbed and it needs to be the exact colour of what you will be using)
So twice a year isn't satisfactory, and disclaimers army an option.
Also if you have clients on a Tuesday for colours that means the patch test needs to be performed on a Sunday which we and most salons are closed. We also don't have a receptionist or anyone who can handily be around to do the tests. All my girls are self employed and need to take care of this themselves. We arnt operating any system for patch testing hair but we want to and want to do it right, even though I've checked with most local salons on our area and no one does it. So we are wanting to put this in to place but really can't see how it will work efficiently for every client on every colour appt 48 hours prior on days off? Please can the salons who are doing this explain how they do it, how it operates smoothly. Much appreciated.

It's 'at least 48 hours beforehand' to allow time for any reaction to develop.
Therefore, if you have clients booked in on the Tuesday, you could patch test them during the previous week.

Latest posts

Back