Paying staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekyhun

Reaction score
I'm interested in how other people on here pay their staff. At the moment I pay weekly in cash but have new staff starting and want them and existing staff to go onto monthly pay, directly into their bank account. Anyone have any advice on the benefits of each method and how I should deal with some potentially unhappy existing staff who are about to go 3 weeks with no money?

Inform them a month or two before doing it so they can save a bit to tide them over, if they work it well they won't be out of pocket as it will be as if they are on the monthly pay already.
There is a place near me that does all of the payments as well as your accounts, could you try asking your accountant? X

Yes I agree. We changed a long time ago from weekly to monthly but gave at least a month's notice. Otherwise you could change to monthly payroll but advance some for the first month so it isn't too difficult for staff to manage.

A lot of people prefer monthly as easier to manage their own rent and expenses.

Thanks, that's really useful advice. I'll give the existing staff a couple of months notice of the change. Like you say, it is easier to budget when paid monthly and it does feel a bit behind the times these days to give cash, weekly in a little brown envelope!

you could also suggest fortnightly pay into their account. its longer than every week and hopefully it wont put your staff on edge from worrying about their money situation. i know its easier for employers to pay staff monthly. but take into consideration your staff and think how would you manage if you only got paid every month, and if you would be likely to get stressed or anything.

Latest posts

Back