Pearl Ex Pigments and product chemistry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhallford

Reaction score
I tried doing a search but I couldn't come up with anything on this topic. I couldn't find the right color powder or polish for St. Patrick's Day. I needed a vibrant emerald green glitter. My mentor suggested trying a glitter from the local craft store mixed in with my clear powder. I pored over the forums here and tried out a few ratios and came up with a lovely end result which fit exactly what I had in mind.

I went back to the store tonight and found these products:

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/

They're an inert pigment powder that they claim can be mixed with any medium. I believe they are made of mica particles. Tip #11 on the site is for mixing with nail polish. I was curious about if anyone had any experience with these? I'm finding that often I have a very specific shade in mind and that often the color choices aren't what I'd like.

My Creative class got rescheduled (AGAIN!!!! Mind you, this class was supposed to happen in January) to April 16th so I won't have my kit any time soon. I'm working with OPI Absolute and their clear powder. Anyhow, I'd be interested to know if blending with these pigments would negatively affect the product chemistry. Thus far, my glitter tips have worn very nicely and they are much bigger particles.

S

Yep have tried them, doesn't work. They work wonderfully with water and other art mediums but they don't really mix that well with monomer or powder. HTH

Oh, what a bummer. Thanks for the info.

S

Does that help you Sarah?

Sort of. Of course, I don't have any experience with their line, so it would be hard to say for sure. They do have a lovely line of colored powders as well. I think what I need is something powdered because I can visualize the effect more easily in my head, KWIM? I know that our local nail supply store is in the process of becoming a distributor for them so I will check them out since I extern there every Friday.

Now I'm wondering how I could find out where/what kind of coloring agents are used regularly in powders. I'm guessing that the MSDS sheets might have it.

ETA: I checked out the MSDS and Melting Pot has 10% mica and Twilight has 5%.

S (only 48 hours left before I graduate!)

Oh, I meant to ask....what happened when you tried them?

S

I have mixed pure mineral eyeshadow with my clear powder and clear gel and used this for nail art and worked fine.

I dont know if the strength would be compromised if you were to use this as an overlay though. I am sure a more knowedgeable geek will help out.

I recently bought some glitters from www.theglitterpot.co.uk, they are pee wee glitters, very very fine and give a good colour.

Oh, I meant to ask....what happened when you tried them?

S

It was sort of like when you mix water with talcum powder, mix well to start with them when all yucky.

As per my former distributor, you can mix pure pigment powders with UV Gel, but I dont know re: L&P.
I have tried it myself, and it did work, but a very very very little went a very long way. Less than 1/8tsp, that's how little.

Not sure that this helps, but thought I'd offer the information.

:hug:

ez flow do a green glittery powder from the walk of fame collection , dont know if that helps you any :green:

Latest posts

Back