Bamboozled by all the gel polish options!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 84533

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post, yay! I have been working a hair and makeup artist for years and am newly qualified in nails. I've been trying to get myself prepared and ready for when we get the go ahead in the UK but am really struggling to settle on a gel polish brand/s to use as there seems to be so many out there and everyone has different opinions on them!

I used to use Bluesky years ago on myself and actually really liked them but switched to CND Shellac after reading loads of bad stuff about them (although I see that Bluesky is now available on salondirect.com and the product description says it is "Fully tested and EU approved" so are they ok to use now?). I couldn't get on with Shellac as I found the colour would just 'float' and didn't seem that pigmented? This was about 6/7 years ago though so maybe its changed since then?

I have been using Glitterbels gel polish and find that to be really wishy-washy and I have to do at least 3 coats! I've also tried G'elite gel polish and found this to be amazingly pigmented but it seems while the company is based over here the product is made in china so I'm apprehensive about using it.. I've attached a pic from the back of the bottle that has further info on ingredients if anyone can shed any light?

Other brands I'm wondering about trying are Gelish, Gellux, OPI, Urban Graffiti, The Manicure Company, Magpie and Premier... any advice on these? Theres so many options it's a bit overwhelming and after all the recent stuff that has come out about The Gel Bottle I'm really worried about making the wrong product decision! Any help or advice would be so, so appreciated I feel like I'm going round in circles!

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200705_094604.jpg

Hi! I'm not sure I can help much because I guess it comes down to everyone's personal preference but I have used CND Shellac in my salon for the last 8ish years and I'm starting to get dissatisfied with it, I'm not in love with the colours anymore and as you said, I sometimes find it's not highly pigmented. I have used a couple of Urban Graffiti gel polishes and I really like them. I'm also really impressed with the top coat.

I find CND colors to be just fine in pigmentation.

This a problem that CND formulators run into when they make a color - they have to make sure the color cures ALL THE WAY before it makes it into the market.

The more pigments, the less it can cure under the UV light because it blocks the UV from penetrating. As a side note, LEDs emit UV light, which is what cures the gel, not the LED. Over time, LEDs bulbs emit less and less UV light, which causes the gels to become undercured, which is why you should replace lamps depending on usage. But in the world of nail products, quality of lamps and gels is all over the place, which is why you always see me boasting about the quality of CND products. I have that much confidence in their products because I've done a lot of research.

That explains why other products can have very deep, rich, and vibrant colors - because they don't formulate their products correctly. THAT IS WHY many other brands can cause nail burns, odd service breakdowns, inconsistent removal difficulties etc.

Last edited:
I use gellux, it’s great but can be hard to get off, you have to do thin layers to have a chance! The colours are really nice and good variety. I used to work in a salon and used shellac and gelish, I would pick gelish all day everyday over shellac

I use gelish and Just started with a few halo colours. Never had any problems with either.

Thanks so much for your replies and help! Theres just so many options out there its amazing but also worrying that ill choose the wrong one!

Hi everyone! This is my first post, yay! I have been working a hair and makeup artist for years and am newly qualified in nails. I've been trying to get myself prepared and ready for when we get the go ahead in the UK but am really struggling to settle on a gel polish brand/s to use as there seems to be so many out there and everyone has different opinions on them!

I used to use Bluesky years ago on myself and actually really liked them but switched to CND Shellac after reading loads of bad stuff about them (although I see that Bluesky is now available on salondirect.com and the product description says it is "Fully tested and EU approved" so are they ok to use now?). I couldn't get on with Shellac as I found the colour would just 'float' and didn't seem that pigmented? This was about 6/7 years ago though so maybe its changed since then?

I have been using Glitterbels gel polish and find that to be really wishy-washy and I have to do at least 3 coats! I've also tried G'elite gel polish and found this to be amazingly pigmented but it seems while the company is based over here the product is made in china so I'm apprehensive about using it.. I've attached a pic from the back of the bottle that has further info on ingredients if anyone can shed any light?

Other brands I'm wondering about trying are Gelish, Gellux, OPI, Urban Graffiti, The Manicure Company, Magpie and Premier... any advice on these? Theres so many options it's a bit overwhelming and after all the recent stuff that has come out about The Gel Bottle I'm really worried about making the wrong product decision! Any help or advice would be so, so appreciated I feel like I'm going round in circles!

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 210384

Have a look at ink London they are a uk Brand and fully tested to all our regs , and not tested on animals I love them and the price point isn’t bad either cx

Latest posts

Back