People relying too heavily on Photoshop?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
On any make up artistry course I have been on I have always been taught that you should never rely on photoshop for anything, that make up should be perfect, photoshop being a last resort for something outside your control. Which I agree completely with

However I was doing a photoshoot last week & I was told not to do this, that & other, that it would be just photoshopped in??? Like false lashes, or they would change lip colour if they changed their mind on that etc. they also wouldn't let me do the coverage of foundation that was needed to hide blemishes, even skin tone etc. (

I wasn't happy with my work at all! And I have seen pictures these people have published before & the amount of photoshop looked ridiculous, everyone was commenting on it ....lips looked like they were drew on. Now I'm afraid my work will look like that & everyone will say it was because my make up was bad. I dread seeing it to be honest.

Should I have spoke up? What do you do in a situation like that?

Yea there's no point having a make-up artist if you're going to draw the make-up on afterwards.

I aim to get my model perfect so any retouching is minimal. Your the artist so you want to be showing off your work not the retoucher's.

But remember photo shoots are fast paced, you really need to be aiming under 30mins for a full face. Photographers need to meet deadlines, be ready for certain lighting, work around the rest of the team etc. Usually when you hear "we'll fix it later" means its taking too long.

Thanks for your reply, it has made me feel better :) Yeah, I know what you mean about time, but it wasn't the case in this instance because we were still waiting on the clothes & hairdresser to arrive. I think they didn't know what they wanted xox

Thanks for your reply, it has made me feel better :) Yeah, I know what you mean about time, but it wasn't the case in this instance because we were still waiting on the clothes & hairdresser to arrive. I think they didn't know what they wanted xox

That's quite annoying that you had time to create the look you wanted but they didn't let you :(

I hope pictures turn out ok at least x

I find it very annoying to have to fix it later over and over again in Photoshop, instead of the MUA getting it right once on the face!

Good on you for wanting to get it right on the face and not rely on Photoshop.

Overly processed images are often a case of hurried processing and/or lack of software skill. Only rarely is it the look that is trying to be achieved. Who really wants to look plastic?

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Urgh so annoying especially when you have the skillset to be able to achieve something which doesn't need any retouching. I dislike airbrush foundation for this reason...'Do you do airbrush makeup?' blah blah blah. Why would I need to use an airbrush system when I can get better results with my own skill. It's like something mass produced vs. handmade. Quick rant there ha

Urgh so annoying especially when you have the skillset to be able to achieve something which doesn't need any retouching. I dislike airbrush foundation for this reason...'Do you do airbrush makeup?' blah blah blah. Why would I need to use an airbrush system when I can get better results with my own skill. It's like something mass produced vs. handmade. Quick rant there ha

I actually like my airbrush system. Good for acne because you can get a really flawless finish without it looking heavy, it's also quick and I use silicone based foundation and it lasts FOREVER lol. I like using stencils with it for creative work. Even have some water-based colours you can use in hair - haven't done that since college though!

I prefer cream foundation for mature and dry skins though and some people are sensitive to silicone so I offer both x

Latest posts

Back