Permed Hair A Bit Frizzy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairdresser18

Reaction score
I had a client that had her hair previously permed and she said it turned out frizzy but her hair was still a little frizzy but in good condition. I permed it for her and i asked her when I saw her a week later how its doing and she said its gone frizzy, now, it was to begin with and I just think her hair doesnt repond well to perms that well, it is a lovely curl in it but a bit frizzy, so i did her her as usual, a set and she rang me the next day which is today and said it looks awful, its sticking up and is frizzy, it was fine when i left it yesterday, she could have slept funny on it to make it stick up no? I never cut her hair after I did the perm cause she didnt want me to, I told her I will come tomorrow and cut it if you think its bad and she said ok, now will cutting it, make it alot better? I am worried she will blame me for ruining her hair when her hair is just frizzy anyway.I bought a hair serum to calm frizz aswell, so I will cut her hair and use that on her too. Does that sound like a plan? She just isnt a very nice person to begin with anyway, I have been with her for 5 months and her previous hairdresser ignored her calls, so I'm guessing the other hairdresser didnt want her.
I had no problems with perms before as I use the Loreal Dulcia and its a conditioning one aswell. Had no complaints.

Perms can sometimes go a bit frizzy, especially round the sides.
If her hair is quite fine then it will ultimately go a bit frizzy.
Maybe using larger rods might be a bit better, but if she has a set she may not like softer curls.

Yes, if you cut her hair it will cut out some of the frizz, but that will be your decision and will obviously cut out some of her curl.

I remember during the 80s when I did lots of perms, they always went a bit frizzy on the sides. The only hair which took perms really well were clients with very strong, thick and course hair.

The perms I always used during the 80s were also Dulcia and Dulcia vitality.

Silly question, but have you used the right strength. I remember the dulcia perms were for Normal hair, strong/ course hair and for colored/ mildly bleached hair.
Also leaving perm lotion on the hair for too long, even for a matter of a few minutes can dramatically damage the hair.

Heavily highlighted bleached hair could also be permed with an acid perm, but I always found them to go frizzy as well, so now I will never perm anyones hair with bleached highlights.

I always found that Sodium Thioglycolate the active ingredient in perm lotion was and is still very damaging to hair. :mad

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hi, yea she said it was mostly around the sides, her hair is quite thick and short.I only left it on for 15 mins and that was the minimum amount of time that you are supposed to leave it on. Maybe it didnt help the fact that she demanded to have her semi permanent colour put on straight after, that would have frizzed it out i guess which might calm down soon. You think? I thought the Dulcia was an alkaline perm?

Perms can sometimes go a bit frizzy, especially round the sides.
If her hair is quite fine then it will ultimately go a bit frizzy.
Maybe using larger rods might be a bit better, but if she has a set she may not like softer curls.

Yes, if you cut her hair it will cut out some of the frizz, but that will be your decision and will obviously cut out some of her curl.

I remember during the 80s when I did lots of perms, they always went a bit frizzy on the sides. The only hair which took perms really well were clients with very strong, thick and course hair.

The perms I always used during the 80s were also Dulcia and Dulcia vitality.

Silly question, but have you used the right strength. I remember the dulcia perms were for Normal hair, strong/ course hair and for colored/ mildly bleached hair.
Also leaving perm lotion on the hair for too long, even for a matter of a few minutes can dramatically damage the hair.

Heavily highlighted bleached hair could also be permed with an acid perm, but I always found them to go frizzy as well, so now I will never perm anyones hair with bleached highlights.

I always found that Sodium Thioglycolate the active ingredient in perm lotion was and is still very damaging to hair. :mad

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yes the dulcia perm is alkaline.
what semi color did you use. The wash out semi should be ok, but if you used the demi permanent ie color touch/ richesse ect that would have some negative effect because of the peroxide.
Next time leave the permed hair approx 3 days before you color it.
:biggrin:

Yes the dulcia perm is alkaline.
what semi color did you use. The wash out semi should be ok, but if you used the demi permanent ie color touch/ richesse ect that would have some negative effect because of the peroxide.
Next time leave the permed hair approx 3 days before you color it.
:biggrin:

I think that its the nice and easy she uses, a small box of it so maybe its a semi permanent, she wants it cut tomorrow so shouldnt I charge her for a cut when I was supposed to do it next week?

If she has asked you to cut it tomorrow, then Yes I would charge her.
It really depends on the circumstances. If you really feel you have damaged someones hair because of your own mistakes, well then you can offer a free cut to keep your client happy. But to be honest, I would have not used a home color on my client. Maybe next time offer her your own semi color. Color fresh and Symbio are great semi colors.

Good luck.
:biggrin: xx

This is more advise for the future than helping you now but i have been Hairressing nearly 20 years now and still have a large number of perm clients. there is no reason why ANY perm should be frizzy if it is done correctly, is sounds like it was over processed when the client came to you either by wrong lotion choice , incorrect development time or poor neutralization. however my advise would be never to re perm until all the over processed hair has been cut. So it seems that when you have permed over the top of the existing perm it has over processed it even more. I would also never under any circumstances colour on the same day as perming and never use a box colour/non professional colour an any client. If this were a client of mine i would have refused to perm until hair in much better condition, the only way i can suggest you hep your client is by offering COMPLIMENTARY repairing and reconstructing treatments and personally i wouldn't be charging for the cut either. Sorry this doesn't help much now but hope it will for the future. i would also review the perm rand that has been used it may have just been incorrect strength or it could be poor quality but i have permed highly bleached hair and very weak hair and had fabulous results with no problems time and time again.

I had a client that had her hair previously permed and she said it turned out frizzy but her hair was still a little frizzy but in good condition. I permed it for her and i asked her when I saw her a week later how its doing and she said its gone frizzy, now, it was to begin with and I just think her hair doesnt repond well to perms that well, it is a lovely curl in it but a bit frizzy, so i did her her as usual, a set and she rang me the next day which is today and said it looks awful, its sticking up and is frizzy, it was fine when i left it yesterday, she could have slept funny on it to make it stick up no? I never cut her hair after I did the perm cause she didnt want me to, I told her I will come tomorrow and cut it if you think its bad and she said ok, now will cutting it, make it alot better? I am worried she will blame me for ruining her hair when her hair is just frizzy anyway.I bought a hair serum to calm frizz aswell, so I will cut her hair and use that on her too. Does that sound like a plan? She just isnt a very nice person to begin with anyway, I have been with her for 5 months and her previous hairdresser ignored her calls, so I'm guessing the other hairdresser didnt want her.
I had no problems with perms before as I use the Loreal Dulcia and its a conditioning one aswell. Had no complaints.

Maybe use an acid perm next time as it's better for her hair. Also ask her what brush she's using I had a lady who was ripping her perm out with this old fashioned rusty metal brush, I gotta say some old people rip there own perms out breaking the hair shaft then that can cause it to go frizzy. You always get the certain client who needs a little educating how to look after here perms.

Hi guys, did her hair today, I did a conditioning treatment and cut it and it's perfect, she said it was her fault she wanted her hair cut the next week and she gave me the price for a cut. So all is good. Thanks for the advice xx

Latest posts

Back