Perming hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartey

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks, I have a lady in tomorrow for a perm, she wants a loose spiral look, my question is, is it possible to perm on setting rollers, as she likes the size of the yellow rollers!

Also if any of you have done this how did it turn out?

I've never permed on setting rollers although I know its done, one of my concerns is that you would get ridges, I know when I set hair its possible to get ridges and permanent ridges wouldn't be a good look. I know we are taught that the size of rod determines the size of curl but I'm not convinced a yellow roller will give you enough length to make a spiral anyway, depends on the length, hair type and thickness of the hair. I'd be happier using the largest bendy roller to provide the length to 'spiral' the hair along.:) and really make sure you rinse and neutralise thoroughly. If you do go ahead and use the setting rollers, make sure you use plastic pins. Hope this helps??:irked:

Thanks for quick reply. Had a rethink and I am opting for black perm rods rolled vertically!

i have done spirals with reg perm rods and they never turned out as nice as i wanted ..
i would go get some long bendys and do it on them , becasue theres nothing worse than doing it and it not being as great as you expect ..
especially with perming as people have a very set idea of what a spiral looks like
hope this hasnt offended you just giving you ideas to get the best perm you can x

i would go get some long bendys and do it on them , becasue theres nothing worse than doing it and it not being as great as you expect ..
especially with perming as people have a very set idea of what a spiral looks like

i would totally agree... i never get the result i really want with regular rods so get some bendy rods and use those... the result is so much better when doing a spiral... and i would never use setting rollers because the curl is never uniform enough and ridges are very hard to avoid indeed... x

Thanks geeks! No offence ever taken! I was once told "ask once and be a fool for 5 mins or don't ask and be a fool forever!"

Will look into bendy rods, are they similar to normal rods i.e elastic to hold in place?

And will I be taking smaller sections with these, as in the "proper" way to roll a spiral? Haven't done one in ten years and struggled back then lol!

Thanks geeks! No offence ever taken! I was once told "ask once and be a fool for 5 mins or don't ask and be a fool forever!"

Will look into bendy rods, are they similar to normal rods i.e elastic to hold in place?

And will I be taking smaller sections with these, as in the "proper" way to roll a spiral? Haven't done one in ten years and struggled back then lol!
Hi, for spiral you take a short rectangle section same width as the roller ( a small square section would probably be perfect but you'll never fit them all on) start an inch from the one end wind on until the end paper is covered then spiral on up keeping the tension until you've reached the roots, then bend the end forward to the scalp to stop it from unwinding. (very difficult to explain!!:lol:) what condition is her hair in because you need a good reliable perm like Biolife or Biocurl. apply it once wound and take test curls until you get a good 's'. use loads of barrier cream around the hairline and change the cotton wool frequently because you end up with such a large head of rollers!! I used to use a carrier bag to cover it:eek: before wrapping in a towel. Also remember it'll take ages to rinse and neutralise. charge a fortune for it!

I forgot, you start at the bottom and work your way up. Let us know how you get on.:hug:

Hi all, went for black rods and vertically wound, came out lovely, thanks all for your help.

Hi. I have done zillions of spirals. Wound on both rods and bendys and i prefer rods really. They hold up much better to the uber rinsing i find.

Latest posts

Back