Perming with highlift and bleach-advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryfiss

Reaction score
So basically I did a perm on a friend a few days ago and now I've ha a couple more requests!

Client one has long hair to her bra strap she has a root retouch every 6 weeks with 99/0 + 6% and every 18 weeks she has highlights through 10/16 and bleach these are not rammed in but you have a good idea of the colour.

Ive done a incompatibility test with 6% and wella mild curl it and it was fine but im stressed because she has bleach in her hair what should i do do it or not or do 1 curl as a test and see what the result id like? also where do I go on from there with colouring and re perming ?.

client two already has a wave but would like more she has had a previous full head of high lift and bleach high lights now its got colour tough on top with the odd bleach high light and a ombre on the end ( bleach but not lifted to white). I'm thinking stay away from this one but if I do a incompatibility test and curl test and they were fine would you do it and what would the plan be with re colouring and perming again.

I know you should test with liquid peroxide but the wholesalers I use dont sell it so use wellas own brand .

All advice well come no matter ho harsh thank x x x x:wink2:

Personally I wouldn't try it! Only because all through out school they drilled in us that if you have bleach you can't perm! However I've never heard of any line that is bleach safe so maybe search that first lol

I wouldn't do it either xx

I have a client who has bleach highlights and I perm her hair all the time. I use either wella mild curl it or goldwell. As long as you do all of your tests (also add pins through all your rollers so they are not sitting awkwardly on the hair) and they come back fine it's ok. I used to be scared to perm bleached hair but there's no need to be (unless it's really damaged and broken then that's a no no!) x

Thanks baby chops I'm guessing they did it in the 80s. How do you go about 're perming it with the solution going through the ends again or is it ok.

I was drilled in college about perming but I thought perm solutions were ment to be better nowadays xx

My client only has short hair so when I re perm it after 3 months she's had a few haircuts by then so most of the old perm is gone. I'm not sure with long hair, as long as you don't perm it too soon, maybe another geek has more experience perming longer hair with bleach? X

I wouldn't do it at all. Bad experience before Xmas with my pal who insisted on a perm and I went against my better judgement..... I used the wella sensitive perm lotion for bleached and coloured hair and it totally destroyed her hair like I knew it would. Her hair went like chewing gum. She's still in a huff with me lol x

I wouldn't do it at all. Bad experience before Xmas with my pal who insisted on a perm and I went against my better judgement..... I used the wella sensitive perm lotion for bleached and coloured hair and it totally destroyed her hair like I knew it would. Her hair went like chewing gum. She's still in a huff with me lol x

Oh dear. That's unfortunate but I've not had any problems with bleach and perming so perhaps you were unlucky?

Did you do an incompatibility test beforehand? Also, did you keep checking the development to make sure it wasn't over-processed?

I do feel that some brands of perming solution are better than others so I tend to stick with Goldwell perms.

I just wouldn't risk it, as you say its not the initial perm but recolouring and perming next time

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I know we want to be able to give clients what they want but I think sometimes you need to think is it really worth it? For the hassle that could come with it if her hair ended up destroyed! Suppose you could get her some coconut oil :) xx

Thanks everyone all good advice. I think I may go on a course for it !

persianista what do you mean by no tension, also how do you go about re perming/ colouring afterwards.

The solution i would normally use is wella mild curl it.

Would I be better saying to them give a Year to 18 MONTHS and use nothing above a 10 line then do it ? x

Thanks persianista I can honestly say no the didn't we talked about acid perms being good for colured hair but nothing about tension .

Ive booked myself in on a perming course so hopefully I should have a good update .

I dont really ever get asked for perms and have turned a couple down in the past as I decided not to get all the kit for the odd person, but ive changed my mind I think there going to come back in and as all the up and coming hairdressers haven't qualified in perming I can offer a service they can't . I also thinks sets will make a come back every one wants voume that lasts thats what sets do in my opinion :D

Latest posts

Back