Perming

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
Apparently Australias education system is removing perming from the main training plan and making it an elective (like extensions and a few other services). I kind of feel like they are training apprentices to be qualified with less and less education. What do you think?

Apparently Australias education system is removing perming from the main training plan and making it an elective (like extensions and a few other services). I kind of feel like they are training apprentices to be qualified with less and less education. What do you think?

They are doing that here in the UK too...

It's crazy, when my generation drop off the radar and hangs up my scissors there won't be any stylists qualified to perm.

All its going to take is a certain trendy music star to bounce on stage supporting a spiral perm and the hairdressers will be f*****d

It's a too dangerous chemical for people to just "have a go" I've seen dismal and horrifying effects of people's perming over the yrs, from smoking hair, hair snapped off leaving it clogging the plug in the basin, scalp burns, the lot...

Bad move removing it from the training program

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

At my college they removed it from there level 2 they thought the scalp massage unit was a better option :eek:

At my college they removed it from there level 2 they thought the scalp massage unit was a better option :eek:

Cause scalp massaging will earn you loads of money...

And a scalp massage will add beautiful body to limp lifeless hair *rolls eyes*

And there's no need to be taught perms now as no one has them,( my tutor said this and I was doing reception that day and booked 2 perms in :lol:

And there's no need to be taught perms now as no one has them,( my tutor said this and I was doing reception that day and booked 2 perms in :lol:

No one has perms?😂

What a load of crud!

I do a few, one is on a 21 yr old girl with long poker straight hair

As I said above, once the qualified permers have hung up their scissors, god help any salon who gets an influx of them because some pop star gets one....hair fashion works like clothes fashion. It WILL all be back in fashion soon.

It will I picked it up as an extra qualification in my spare time thought it was worth it. On our level 3 at the moment we do the creative perming unit and although it's a bit of a pain today it will be so worth it's hen they come back into fashion

I'm going to check this. I used to work for Pivot Point in Australia so they should be able to tell me. Hairdressing training in Australia is very intensive so i'ld be surprised that they'ld remove perming, even if it is not as popular - it still has a place.

Perming is an essential part of hairdressing, and I am sure it is about to make a return.
The likes of L'oreal & Wella NEED it too!
Think about it fellow professionals, this is a service that the consumer CANNOT easily do themselves at home. This is a service best suited to the salon.... ;)
The fact that it is technical and skillfull is EXACTLY what we need right now.

Perming is an essential part of hairdressing, and I am sure it is about to make a return.
The likes of L'oreal & Wella NEED it too!
Think about it fellow professionals, this is a service that the consumer CANNOT easily do themselves at home. This is a service best suited to the salon.... ;)
The fact that it is technical and skillfull is EXACTLY what we need right now.

If it does ever come back into fashion I don't think it will be the same. Curly hair has been fashionable for the last 5 years, but people haven't been running to get perms, just blow dries.

I think they would need to be less harsh on the hair, or something new to put some excitement, something fresh back into perming.

I love perming, but would never recommend a perm to someone who has never had a perm before. I think people struggle to style the hair once its been permed x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it does ever come back into fashion I don't think it will be the same. Curly hair has been fashionable for the last 5 years, but people haven't been running to get perms, just blow dries.

I think they would need to be less harsh on the hair, or something new to put some excitement, something fresh back into perming.

I love perming, but would never recommend a perm to someone who has never had a perm before. I think people struggle to style the hair once its been permed x

I agree... i often find people want their hair perming thinking it'll be like a big curly blowdry 🙈

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree... i often find people want their hair perming thinking it'll be like a big curly blowdry 🙈

I know!!! The amount of times I I have to explain to them that it will help them keep the curl, if they blow dried their hair properly! But then that is for us to educate them haha x

I know!!! The amount of times I I have to explain to them that it will help them keep the curl, if they blow dried their hair properly! But then that is for us to educate them haha x

Clients are v lazy lol x

I did all the theory and practice in perming.
However we didn't do any assessments to be passed off on or exams.
Thinking of doing loreals 'ps forme curl' one day course. But will that cover me insurance wise. L'Oreal nor NVQ could answer my question.
I would ask my insurance company. But I'll change this each year for the best deal?!

I think ya'll may find this interesting. I heard that olaplex was engineerd to help "bring perms back" but it just happened to catch on as a bleach additive instead.

Very interesting 'tsparker78'.
Surely, I'm not the only one, with wee nimble fingers, 'biting at the bit', for a come back....
Who ever would have predicted 'THE BEARD'........:eek::eek::eek:
Trust me folks, 'THE RETURN OF THE PERM'.....is just around the corner.........;)

Very interesting 'tsparker78'.
Surely, I'm not the only one, with wee nimble fingers, 'biting at the bit', for a come back....
Who ever would have predicted 'THE BEARD'........:eek::eek::eek:
Trust me folks, 'THE RETURN OF THE PERM'.....is just around the corner.........;)
I love my beard ! No matter how unfashionable it may become, I'll never shave it.

hmmmm, interesting. i completed a VRQ level 2 hairdressing cert and one of our mandatory units was the perming unit. (just finished it this year) and my tutor was raving about perms saying they are coming back in a big way!! the NVQ level 2 however, doesnt have perming as mandatory, its optional, so none of the NVQ students have been trained in perming...

Latest posts

Back