Peroxide?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone im new to this website,,,,,and i have just Done my NVQ lev 1 hairdressing and i start college next week on NVQ lev 2,,,So i havent had much experiance with hair dye,,,,but im learning:lol:
Sooo i would be really greatful if someone could please explain peroxide too me, like all the different vol and the differences between them ??? this may sould like a really stupid question Lol but i just dont Understand it

Thankss xxx :)

Hi its very easy really once you get it and you will learn it at college every day these are the peroxides:

10 volume also known as 3% - Used for refreshing faded ends never really used in a salon i dont think this is the lowest and weakest peroxide.
20 volume also known as 6% - Used for permanent colouring when adding depth or tone will give up to 1 shade lift.
30 volume also known as 9% - Used for permanent colouring, will give 3 shades lift.
40 volume also known as 12% - Used for permanent colouring, will give up to 5 shades lift.

Bascially theres really only 6%, 9%, 12% u need to worry about.
Just learn these :)
Your learn all this at college and have you got a level 2 hairdressing book look in there?

OOhhhh Okayy,,,, it makes more sense Now :lol:
And im getting the book in a Few Days so hopefully there should be some stuff in there ...
Thank you Soo much xxx

A lot of us geeks use 3%. It is good for tinting with no lift and I use it a lot in bleach. You will learn a lot at college this year, depending on what ranges they use in the college. The quasi permanents in wella are mixed with wither 1.9% or 4%.

But mainly you will use 3 6 9 and 12%.

i have always used 3% in my salon, it is used alot. also alot of 1.9% for quasi colours!

Hi its very easy really once you get it and you will learn it at college every day these are the peroxides:

10 volume also known as 3% - Used for refreshing faded ends never really used in a salon i dont think this is the lowest and weakest peroxide.
20 volume also known as 6% - Used for permanent colouring when adding depth or tone will give up to 1 shade lift.
30 volume also known as 9% - Used for permanent colouring, will give 3 shades lift.
40 volume also known as 12% - Used for permanent colouring, will give up to 5 shades lift.

Bascially theres really only 6%, 9%, 12% u need to worry about.
Just learn these :)
Your learn all this at college and have you got a level 2 hairdressing book look in there?

1.9% and 4% are commonly used at my salon as we do a lot of demi colours as well as the usual tint. Guess wella is a little different with 4% instead of 3%.

Anways I always see the words 'shades' in those DIY colour boxes you buy from supermarkets. But I've always known 3% (10vol) - 1 level of lift, 6% (20vol) - 2 levels of lift, 9% (30vol) - 3 levels of lift and 12% (40vol) - 4 levels of lift.

Confused about how to compare levels and shades.. :eek:

If you look in your shade chart there is base shades 1 to 10. 1 is black, 10 palest blonde.
These equate to your "levels". For example if your client is a base 5 and picks out a 7.4 (7 copper) then you are lifting 2 shades (levels) and need to use 20 vol.

Latest posts

Back