Please help, beauty virgin with questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopena23

Reaction score
Hi guys and thank you for taking your time to read my questions and hopefully sharing some useful tips with me, I am currently finishing my NVQ Leven l in Hampshire,UK and trying to set up my small beauty room at home to begin with, and I have lots and lots of questions. Even though the course I am doing is ok, I feel like a person who knows very little still. So I spend a lot of time on this website and it taught me a lot of things and helped me to understand some things more. However I still have some questions, maybe they have been answered and I just haven’t found them, I am really sorry for this long introduction, and please forgive if you find my questions a bit silly.
1. How do I greet my client before treatment, what questions do I ask (for facials or mani and pedi)
2. What are the best tool (cuticle pusher, cuticle clippers, scissors, tweezers and so on) I would prefer to go for a really good quality even though I know it might come pricyJ
3. Wax – can anyone explain to me the roll on wax as I am struggling to get how it works, as I used so far Australian Body care tube wax and hot wax from them also, but heard that roll on wax might be faster on legs and maybe arms and bikini ?but how does it work???and what are the best???
4. Facial products, I have recently visited professionalbeauty exhibition in london, and Dermalogica seemed more willing to work with people smaller sizes, but their first order is a bit pricy, so how to choose what products to use, and in regards to training of their products, I would personally prefer to go with more organic ranges, and obviously dermologica is opposite to that, Pink Boutique sounds good and pricy, so did anyone heard anything about them and their products. I know you can go to Sally’s or Capital and get their range of skin care to begin with, but I tried their products myself and did not like them at all, so I would not like to offer them to my clients. The reason I was interested in Dermalogica offer was only due their 2 weeks training, as I feel my doing that I can gain a bit more knowledge and confidence in doing facial, and knowing a bit about the actual products and the ingredients, as nothing like that were discussed in our course.
I will highly appreciate if anyone can spare couple of minutes to share their experience to answer if not all of the questions but at list one of them. Thank you so much.
:lol:

To be honest, if you don't know what questions to ask a client in a consultation or what tools to use then I don't think you are ready to open a home salon.

I would say wait until you have done a little more study/training and have gained a little more knowledge before doing so and it will make you a better therapist in the long run :) x

Thank you so much,i understand what you saying, i think i made myself not very clear,what i mean by the questions,is i know what to ask,just to make sure i ask them in a correct way,and in regards to training a bit more,i completly agree with you,thats why i am doing level 3 and some other courses on a side,but to get practise and learn more i wanted to start slow from home and charge only obviously much less if it makes sence,untill i feel much more confident,thats why i was interested in Dermalogica as they providing 2 weeks training.but i believe you can start slowly and gain more and more experience and knowledge while undergoing your course. Thnak you anyway for taking you time to reply.Best regards

I think u have to do level 2 before 3!
You don't sound ready to be opening a salon!

I would always recommend working in a salon before you work for yourself. It's hard to work for yourself, you have no one to turn to for advice or reassurance so if you are not 100% confident in your treatments it can be tricky! Salon experience is priceless in my eyes x

Latest posts

Back