Please help - I have long nails in NW Calgary

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkside

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I first want to say that I am so happy to find this forum! I am a newbie to artificial nails, although I had naturally long nails for many years. I got my first set of gel nails about 4 months ago and I have been in a state of frustration ever since. I like my nails quite long - my tips average .5". I live in NW Calgary and chose my first nail salon mostly for its' proximity - it was very clean and upscale, but it had a couple of tell tale signs that I have learned are warnings - no one spoke english and there was a large screen tv on the back wall. After only a couple visits I developed a fungus under my middle finger on my right hand. So, I did a little research and found another location. Location #2 came very highly rated voted #1 in Calgary for 2008. However, my nail tech said my gel nails needed to be thicker because of their length. I find them to be very unattractive because the gel is so thick. Also, the thick gel reached my cuticle and the outgrowth is not only unsightly, but it catches on everything. My next encounter was today - the nail on my right pointer finger broke when I was out today and I just happened to be next to a nail salon. I ran in and asked if they could do a quick repair. $8's later I drove away and realized that the gel nail wasn't attached to the top of my natural nail - it was already lifting. I turned around and went back. The nail tech took a quick peek and pulled out her nail glue, placed a dab into seperated area and said it was fine. I'm no expert, and this may be the perfect thing to do. BUT, it should have been done properly in the first place.
So, I am on a quest to finad a permanent, long term nail tech in Calgary. I would prefer that it is in the NW, but after the past 4 months, I am willing to travel. I posted some questions on "allexperts.com" and was told that I should be using an acrylic system and have my tech put a thin clear coat of gel over it. "Acrylic is much stronger and can be applied very thin." Why didn't any of my tech's suggest this? Please tell me that there is some one in Calgary who can perform this service for me :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have removed the salon names as it is against the site rules to criticise where they are not able to respond.

I have never come across allexperts.com but they cannot be experts if they are giving you incorrect information.

Acrylic or Liquid and Powder to give it the correct terminology is not necessarily stronger and neither can it necessairly be applied thinner.

I hope you can find a good technician who will be able to help you without giving you misinformation to serve their own purposes.

:hug: Hello Darkside!!

you can contact Just nailz in Calgary, and they will give you a list of reputable salons in your area.

Ask for Deb or Amanda..

Sincerely;
Janet

Thank you so much. I dream of finding a nail tech who will chat with me about current nail trends and options that I have.:)

Latest posts

Back