Please please help! licence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about special licences for beauty treatments. I have been renting a room doing beauty treatments,for years and years (nearly 17) and I have just found that I may have to have this licence. I already have a licence to carry out electrolysis. I have also been told that all my equipment will need to have PAT test and a risk assessment carried on the room. Do you know roughly how much this might cost and does all this apply if you are treating clients mobile or at home based salon. I am really worried about this especially as I have a busy day tomorrow Help!

HOW COME THIS HAS HAPPENED NOW AFTER 17 YEARS IN BIZ?

Its worrying for us all if this is the case.

wow I cant believe you didnt know this.

With regards to licenses it all depends on what treatments you do and if the local council requires it. All you have to do is call your local council and ask them and they will tell you what you need, unfortunetly it varys area to area!

With regards to PAT testing everyone using electrical equipment for the purpose of work needs to have the equipment tested every 12 months. Computers, Wax pots, Lights, HiFis etc all need this certificate. In general expect to pay between £50 and £200.

Look it up in the Yellow Pages under electricians. It shouldnt take them more than a couple of hours and they then stick a sticker on any equipment that passes or condemn any faulty items. The only time an item wont pass is if the thermostat on say heaters break and could cause fires or burning or electric shocks on you, any one you employ or clients.

If a client is injured from an item of electrical equipment I have known insurance companies not pay out due the items being faulty and not tested.

With regards to risk assessment you do this. You basically go into every room you have and look at potential risks to the public, your staff or you. Oils on floor would cause a risk of slipping, action would be to clean it immedietly. Wires on wax pot - you would say action to check these weekly/monthly for example and you would be looking for exposed wire or wear etc.

Everything is a general 'hazard' what you need to do is a form for items on the 'risk' list that you would need to do/check dailey, such as spillages, fire escapes being blocked. Weekly could be lighting in rooms or on any path clients would use, and monthly could be worn carpet, wires, beds etc.

Its also good to call your local fire brigade and ask them to come and do an assesment on fire risks too. They for free come round and highlight your dangers and also propose safety advice.

There are books you can buy on this from amazon.

Hope this helps for now. Dont panic too much its all easily done.

Kate

Thanks for getting back to me thats all god information. I have since been trailing the internet and have some info on the risk assessment side of things and have some details on the PAT test which I will be following up on next week. It's the special licence that I'm worried about I have tried to find out from council's website but they don't have any information on this at all so I will contact them next week.

Hippy Chick I know I can't believe this has happened either but it's a very long story. The short version is I have been renting from a local authority (as far as I was aware everything was taken care of by the council) and a few years ago they were taken over by a private company and apparantly there has been some confusion with the change of contract details, which I am now in the throws of going through so wish me luck.

Hi, how did you get on with this, did you ring them in the end? what did they say? x

I used to work in a salon in Essex but even then requirements can vary between each Council.

As I understood it, you could have a 'multiple licence' if you owned a beauty salon and say a 'single licence' if you were perhaps a nail technician. The multiple licence was about £250 and the single licence was about £150. Also if you ran a nailbar with 10 nail technicians or if you were a one man band the fee was the same.

Due to insurance complications, apparently you didn't need a licence if you were mobile and I felt like the LA's were advising me to state that I was mobile rather than salon or home based.

Contact your local Council for clarification.

Just to let you know I contacted the local authority and they said I only need a license for my electrolysis (which I already have) but didn't need one for any other treatments. Just need to sort out the landlord now!

Just to update on this if anyones unsure what licences they need you can find this out on the business link website xxx

Latest posts

Back