Polish Pro Curing Problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstewart

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, not sure if anyone can help me on this as it may be differcult to explain, but here goes.....

I have recently bought an NSI lamp off someone that was 6 months old and had been used once a week within this time. The bulbs have not or are not yet going black at the ends (which I have been told this is an indication that they need changing).

I was really excited when I got this lamp because I have always used an unbranded (cheap) lamp as I only used it for gel top coats on my acrylics. The I started using Polish Pro and found it didn't cure it and was advised to get an NSI branded lamp. However, this lamp still isn't curing the PP properly, the colour is still slightly tacky after 2 minutes......is this normal or not? :confused:

Any suggestions.....??

Thanks in advance for any advice :hug:

Hello

Sounds like the bulbs need changing.;)

Hello

Sounds like the bulbs need changing.;)

Thanks, I thought so too but I wanted to be sure as they are expensive and I am only a tiny business......can I ask, would you recommend purchasing the bulbs from NSI or does it not matter as long as I have the correct lamp and of course the bulbs are the correct wattage?

I would definitely get them from NSI if you use NSI products.

When you do a treatment and use the correct procedure, tools and consumables it gives you confidence and peace of mind in the service you provide.

Also, for example, if a client's gels came off, it's harder to work out if she has developed a contra-indication or whether it's your equipment and the gels just haven't cured.

:D

I would definitely get them from NSI if you use NSI products.

When you do a treatment and use the correct procedure, tools and consumables it gives you confidence and peace of mind in the service you provide.

Also, for example, if a client's gels came off, it's harder to work out if she has developed a contra-indication or whether it's your equipment and the gels just haven't cured.

:D

Brilliant, thank you for the advise :lol::hug:

When you say the colour is still tacky how tacky? It is supposed to be, you then apply your top coat, capping the free edge and cure. This will still be tacky until you wipe with cleanse.

If you are sure your application is right then best bet is to speak to NSI. Have you looked at the nailangel site?

Changing your bulbs is the first step in fixing this problem and yes, only buy NSI bulbs for your NSI lamp. THis is your best way ensuring you are getting the right uv output to cure the PP.

Are you doing your layer thin? I know we sometimes think we are but we aren't, I would really troubleshoot this idea as well, especially with the darker colors.

As already stated, you should have a sticky layer on each coat and you only wipe with Cleanse after the top coat has cured.

I think you will more than likely find that it's your bulbs and quite possible that you are doing your layers too thick and not curing them long enough but with bad bulbs, you are not going to get a good cure anyway.

Oh another thing, don't always rely on the bulbs going black to tell you when they need changing cause they wont always do this. It's when your product is not curing correctly is the best indicator and also to try and keep a note of how many hours per week you use it. Also, make sure you always have a spare set of bulbs on hand in case something happens and you need to swap them out mid service.

Thanks very much guys for this advice, its really helped me

I have ordered a set of NSI bulbs to replace them and see if this helps, also I did not know the colour was supposed to still be slightly tacky too......the video on Nailangel doesn't state this (I don't think anyway....).

I do know I need more practice in applying the product anyway, don't think I am getting it thin enough but the darker colours & white don't seem to cover properly if you only apply 2 thin layers.....??

I have just changed my bulbs in my lamp and tried to cure pp for 2mins. Is the pp colour supposed to still be slightly tacky after the 2mins? It's like if you touch it it leaves a finger print.....?

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Yes that's the inibition layer. And you would wipe this away with alcohol.

Last edited:
I have just changed my bulbs in my lamp and tried to cure pp for 2mins. Is the pp colour supposed to still be slightly tacky after the 2mins? It's like if you touch it it leaves a finger print.....?

Yes it is, all layers have the tacky residue, the base, the 2 color coats and the top coat.
Please don't touch the tacky layer with your finger as you are putting contaminates on the product from your oily finger and this could cause service break down.
You only need to wipe the tacky layer off after you have cured your final top coat layer, not in between coats.
Make sure when you apply your top coat, that you cover the edge of the color layers by a teeny amount but without touching any skin/cuticle.
I find it easy to leave a teeny weeny more of margin in my color coats than my base and top layers, this way the color is sandwiched in between them and protected from the outside world:)

Really concentrate on getting those layers thin but with good coverage, it does take some practice:)
Make sure you have no areas that are thicker than the others from when you glide your brush down and it sometimes pools to the side of the brush, make sure you go over it and make it all the same thickness all over and make sure you have no pooling at the free edge either, this WILL cause chipping.

Too many people think that using a SOGP like Polish pro etc is easy and it's just like polishing with nail polish....it sort of is this basic but there are definitely some tricks you need to learn to be able to get a great application.

Feel free to pm me if you need to trouble shoot anymore after you get your new lamps.

What colors have you been working with?

Yes it is, all layers have the tacky residue, the base, the 2 color coats and the top coat.
Please don't touch the tacky layer with your finger as you are putting contaminates on the product from your oily finger and this could cause service break down.
You only need to wipe the tacky layer off after you have cured your final top coat layer, not in between coats.
Make sure when you apply your top coat, that you cover the edge of the color layers by a teeny amount but without touching any skin/cuticle.
I find it easy to leave a teeny weeny more of margin in my color coats than my base and top layers, this way the color is sandwiched in between them and protected from the outside world:)

Really concentrate on getting those layers thin but with good coverage, it does take some practice:)
Make sure you have no areas that are thicker than the others from when you glide your brush down and it sometimes pools to the side of the brush, make sure you go over it and make it all the same thickness all over and make sure you have no pooling at the free edge either, this WILL cause chipping.

Too many people think that using a SOGP like Polish pro etc is easy and it's just like polishing with nail polish....it sort of is this basic but there are definitely some tricks you need to learn to be able to get a great application.

Feel free to pm me if you need to trouble shoot anymore after you get your new lamps.

What colors have you been working with?

Thanks Wooshka, this is a great reply!

I agree, I do need practice in the application, but can I ask how do I know the pp is curing properly after the 2 minutes in the lamp, have I to just trust my lamp?

I have the starter kit, so the colours are wild berry, purple pearl, burgundy, scarlett, pink cashmere and blanca :biggrin:

:Love:

I agree, I do need practice in the application, but can I ask how do I know the pp is curing properly after the 2 minutes in the lamp, have I to just trust my lamp?

Basically yes, unless you are having breakdowns of the product inbetween services. Just like with gel you still get a tacky inhibition layer and can't tell just by looking at it if it's cured.

As Wooska said, and I did earlier, your colour will still be tacky after coming out of the lamp, it is supposed to be. You leave this tacky layer, apply your top coat and cure, this again will be tacky, you then wipe with cleanse. Only wipe your top coat with cleanse, not inbetween the layers.

Do not touch the surface until after your final step of wiping the top coat with cleanse.

I have wild berry on at the moment and love it :biggrin:

Thank you for this application clarification.....much appreciated xxxx

There's a video here Nail Angel: Home which might help make it clearer.

Also if you are struggling with the product going too think NSI do a product called renew which helps to thin it down a little.

There's a video here Nail Angel: Home which might help make it clearer.

Also if you are struggling with the product going too think NSI do a product called renew which helps to thin it down a little.

Thanks....I've watched this video I love nailangel I'm always on it! Lol......I've just bought some pp renew.....so I'll put a few drops in each bottle because they are all a little thick and gloopy xx

Latest posts

Back