Polka dots and curing problems, help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystle-tips

Reaction score
Hi everyone - hope your all ok :)

I'm struggling with my gel polish polka dots! I always see them on other peoples websites/Instagram/facebook.. And they look flawless.. It unless my dots are teeny tiny.. They ripple when I cure because it's not a thin coat of gel polish..

It's the same with all gel polish I use. Shellac, ibd, polish pro.

Please - how do you get your dots (using. Dotting tool) to be large but to cure without the rippling!
See photo.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396533062.283725.jpg

i would like to know this too, as i get that sometimes aswell. x

What sized dotting tool do you use? When I do spots I tend to use the largest tool I have that way you only need to pick up a small amount of product so you don't get any wrinkling x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello!

Alternatively, if you're confident, you could use a small dotting tool and rather than dotting, use circular motions to make a "bigger" dot, but at the same time you're thinning out the product as you do it so hopefully it won't wrinkle when curing!

Hth xx

I had the same problem when I first started to do dots but was advised to clean my dotting tool after each dot & it seemed to help me.

What sized dotting tool do you use? When I do spots I tend to use the largest tool I have that way you only need to pick up a small amount of product so you don't get any wrinkling x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeh I have been using the largest too. My tiny dots are great, love them. But my large ones have massive wrinkle holes in them! Grrr. You would thinks dots should be the easiest things to do! Ha!

What about using a paint gel instead?. Anyone do that? It's just quite expensive at £10 per tube!

Hi everyone - hope your all ok :)

I'm struggling with my gel polish polka dots! I always see them on other peoples websites/Instagram/facebook.. And they look flawless.. It unless my dots are teeny tiny.. They ripple when I cure because it's not a thin coat of gel polish..

It's the same with all gel polish I use. Shellac, ibd, polish pro.

Please - how do you get your dots (using. Dotting tool) to be large but to cure without the rippling!
See photo.

View attachment 60780

I used the large ones and I do I little swirling in every dots with an fine art brush so it won't be too thick in the center of the dot. But I rather wipe off the tacky layer and use acrylic paint, easier.

I use regular polish to do my nail art, then cover and cap with top coat. By the time you've done the last nail you can float your top coat over without any smudges.

Laura xx

I do my large dots in the last coat of colour before curing it. I use a small amount of colour on medium dotting tool and that way it spreads out flush with the colour coat. Then cure it

I use regular polish to do my nail art, then cover and cap with top coat. By the time you've done the last nail you can float your top coat over without any smudges.

Laura xx

Thanks for that, I did think about doing that! Will try! X

I do my large dots in the last coat of colour before curing it. I use a small amount of colour on medium dotting tool and that way it spreads out flush with the colour coat. Then cure it

Hmm good idea!! Will try that one too! Thanks!! X

I just use acrylic paint :) never any ripples and dries really quick!

Latest posts

Back