Possible redundancy after maternity leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdidi

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope one if you lovely ladies, or gents, would be able to give me some good advice regarding employment law. Sorry in advance but its a long post and may seem like I'm rambling on.

Basically I have worked for a dental and beauty clinic just over 4 years and last May went on my maternity leave. My manager worked out the dates and told me I need to be back at work beginning of March when in fact I should have been back on 17 February. I only found out as the accountant sent out my payslip with a note saying my maternity pay had all been paid out. When I emailed my manager and complained that she gave me the wrong dates I was told that it was my responsibility to work out my leave and not theirs and that I had apparently told them that's when I would be back which is a pure lie.

That's the first problem. So I was then told that as the beauty side of the clinic is not so busy anymore I can not return to my usual hours worked which was two days per week.
On the beauty side there was me working and an aesthetic nurse who should mainly be doing wrinkle relaxant injections and dermal fillers. She used to work every other Thursday and whilst I was on maternity leave she worked every Thursday to cover my clients as well.
I mainly carry out all laser hair and skin treatments, microdermabrasion and radio frequency body and face treatments.

So I was offered either to sign a new contract so they only call me when they need me or to take redundancy.

On the first day back at work the owner told me that if I agreed I would continue to see all the clients with the nurse only carrying out the injectable treatments. As my day had not been booked up at all I went home unpaid as there was nothing left for me to do. On the other hand the nurses day was fully booked and half of her day were clients I could have seen as they were mainly facials and laser treatments. The following Monday I was called to work as I had a fully booked day which was only because the nurse has cancelled her day that week and I was called in to work. Since then I haven't been called to work at all.
When I emailed and said I would agree to the new contract as long as the owner sticks to what he offered me on my first day back I was told that I couldn't be guaranteed all laser and facial clients as the nurse started working there before me and they could only guarantee laser hair removal clients to me.
So I emailed my boss/owner and said the whole reason you want me to cut my hours is because apparently you can't afford to pay me and it's not busy enough but you can afford to pay the nurse more than double my wage and she has at least one full day of clients with majority of them being clients I should be seeing.

They are basically not interested in anything I say and I have ended up being back at work for a day and a half only since 3 March.

I'm being made to feel like I'm completely not wanted back and actually being discriminated against for going away to have a baby. I told him that he can't make me redundant then have the nurse continue to carry out treatments I should have been doing and their excuse is she only comes in when they book her in which seems to be every Thursday now.

What do I do now? I emailed him this week saying I don't accept the new contract and that I feel like they are bullying me and harassing me and that I feel being discriminated against and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Is he really right to do all of this? They told me he's been given legal advice and that he's not doing anything wrong.

Please help!!
Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone Acas 0845 747 4747
Their a great help. I had terrible trouble returning to work after my first and Acas was a great help x

Book an apt with citizens advice ASAP ... They will advise you as I think you need legal advice.

Xxxx

I agree with beauty bits. Get in touch with acas as soon as. Good luck x :0)

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for the advice.
Spoke to acas already and they said to write a formal letter of grievance first and give them 2 weeks to respond and once they do to call acas back. Also called up citizens advice and somebody should be calling me back today. Haven't written the grievance yet, will do after I speak with citizens advice first to see what they say as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back