PPD allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataylor0510

Reaction score
My client has been having diacolor (light brown) for approximately 5 years. She has recently developed an allergy to ppd, I did a patch test with an ammonia free tint last week and she reacted again, her face was itchy and her eyes swell up so I'm now assuming she's reacting to ppd.
She's desperate to have her roots done as she's quite grey, I don't feel happy doing low lights as some colour may touch her skin when I wash it off.
Are there any colours I could use without ppd??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am also wondering this aswell as I have a client with the same problem. I use toners on her though and she doesn't react to those? X

My boss used to only react to base 6 and below.
So used to have foils in 7or8 and above instead.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that darker colours contain more PPD?

X

My boss used to only react to base 6 and below.
So used to have foils in 7or8 and above instead.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that darker colours contain more PPD?

X

Yes I think they do x

Yes, more ppd the darker the colour but you shouldn't use anything that contains ppd if there is a reaction to it as next time it could be much worse.

Im allregic to PPD in hair dyes can only dye my hair with bleach.. back to my nromal colour now natural brown... still have not found a hair dye i can use !!

Low lighting with foil it fine. I do it for a highly allergic client. Just work perfectly clean, wiping the tail comb before each section, and shampoo off at least three times. I do back to back slices for her, and have done for a few years now with no reaction. She reacts violently to tint by the way.

Low lighting with foil it fine. I do it for a highly allergic client. Just work perfectly clean, wiping the tail comb before each section, and shampoo off at least three times. I do back to back slices for her, and have done for a few years now with no reaction. She reacts violently to tint by the way.

This is a massive risk! It might work for you and this client but it could be dangerous to others.

Most colour houses now dont use PPD anyway, it isn't worth the money to work on an allergic client, putting someone in hospital for the sake of £50. There are too many posts on this.

Goldwell elumen is designed especially for allergic clients.

There are the same nasty chemicals in ammonia free tint- if not sometimes worse. Unfortunately there is perception that it will be better for a client- they still have to put stuff in it to make it work- if it was that great we would just use that wouldn't we?

Look guys,

We all do stuff we aren't suppose to and bend the rules a little bit. BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

Working on allergic clients is not big or clever or professional. If you choose to be stupid enough to colour your hair with a known allergy keep it to yourself. It's like someone with a nut allergy bragging they just ate peanuts.

This site is made up of experienced pros but also young impressionable hairdressers. Would you want to be responsible for hospitalizing a client because a young stylist read on a forum that it's on to work on allergic clients. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be.

So many people jump on other hairdressers for not being 'pro' then on another thread suggests the above

Rant over.

My client has been having diacolor (light brown) for approximately 5 years. She has recently developed an allergy to ppd, I did a patch test with an ammonia free tint last week and she reacted again, her face was itchy and her eyes swell up so I'm now assuming she's reacting to ppd.
She's desperate to have her roots done as she's quite grey, I don't feel happy doing low lights as some colour may touch her skin when I wash it off.
Are there any colours I could use without ppd??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wanted to give you an answer to your original question. I agree with all that's been said. If the client is allergic and you colour anyway you won't be insured.

Take a look at natural hair colouring products such as Henna, Indigo, Amla, Cassia and more. You can achieve blonde, copper, reds, browns, mahoganies and blacks and 100% grey coverage for your PPD (or PPT or any of it's derivatives) sensitive clients.

The downside is that they take longer to develop. We 'hendigo' one client and it takes 4 hours in total to cover her grey and cut her hair, but it's always a pleasure knowing that we are providing her a service that won't kill her or harm her, and that she values us so much that she travels 30 miles for each appointment. It's also nice to do something different every now and again, and it certainly provides a talking point in the salon for your other clients - it impresses them that you know how to do stuff like that.

Whatever you do though - stay safe! It's no good her looking her best when she's being identified by the coroner! Allergies can kill and it's absolutely no joke.

Best of luck!

Koleston "innosense" it has an ME molecule which reduces risk of reaction xxx

Instead of the Ppds* x

Koleston "innosense" it has an ME molecule which reduces risk of reaction xxx

There is a strong possibility that someone sensitive to PPD would still be sensitive to Innosense... I believe that it's just an analogue compound very similar to PPD!!?? :)

You still need to test, elumen is the only permanent colour that is PPD free I believe. We use it fine on allergic clients as that is what is designed to do. It works differently to normal permanent but at least you are offering a safe option to colouring their hair.

Yea you still have to test with it every time you colour but just a thought x

Hi guys, we use tigi copyright colour and that is PPD free. It has PTD in

Hi guys, we use tigi copyright colour and that is PPD free. It has PTD in

Most colour house don't use PPD anymore, nearly all use PTD.

My hairdresser uses Keune colours which I don't think have PPD in

Likewise many people who are allergic to PPD May also have a reaction to PTD or TLD :)

Likewise many people who are allergic to PPD May also have a reaction to PTD or TLD :)

Your'e absolutely right. All permanent hair colour needs an ingredient to act in a similar manner to PPD's, using other ingredients such as PTD does reduce the risk of reaction however it does not remove it.

I completely agree with all of the points on taking risks when someone is allergic to colour. It is too much of a danger to carry out any service.

If you do decide to go ahead make sure that you perform the correct allergy test following all of the rules. (The NHF will be able to provide very clear and practical information on this)

As someone has stated Keune they do not contain any PPD's, however they do have PTD's and therefore allergy testing is still essential.

Latest posts

Back